Cinderellas a Maldivian version

The Maldivian version of Cinderella story is a bit different from the original one. There is a teenage girl named Amina who lives with her adopted parents.

She was just a baby when Mariyam Kanbaa and Ibrahim Rahaa, an infertile couple took her in as their own child. Everyone in the whole island praised them for their kindness, until miraculously Mariyam Kanbaa gave birth to twin daughters. Since then, the whole picture changed. The parents who cared so much for Amina lost all interest in her and got engaged with the twins.

As the years passed by and the children grew up, Amina was treated like a servant of the house. Her adopted sisters found pleasure in teasing and hurting her. Mostly they were jealous of her due to her dazzling features. Unlike most Maldivians she was blessed with a pair of blue green eyes. She stood out among everyone due to this as well as her fair skin and silky hair.

The twins always torture Amina with household chores. She wakes up earlier than the cockatoos and kovelis' that inhabit the island. She has to sweep the rooms, feed the chickens and even go to the beach to wash the kitchen utensils.

As usual, Amina was coming back home after washing the utensils at the beach. She didn't own any shoes and thus her feet were badly hurt from walking on the coral sand beaches. She met a very decently dressed old man on her way. He was a well known Arabian merchant in the area and was currently in the Maldives for trade purposes. The old man, seeing the poor girl walk barefoot, gifted her the best shoes among his treasures. It was a pair like none other. With its pointy ends and fabric designs, it was a shoes that anyone would want. It fit Amina, as if it was made for her.

Overjoyed, Amina went home with her new shoes. The twins became even more jealous and made life a living hell for her, but the courageous child survived bravely. No matter what, she wouldn't give away the shoes that the kind man gave her.

Days passed in a similar manner and soon, it was time for Eid- a day celebrated throughout Maldives. Amina's sisters gave her a lot of work so that she wouldn't be able to take part in the celebrations. They left the houses in their best dresses, leaving Amina all alone.

Feeling left out, Amina went to the beach to wash the utensils. Lost in her own thoughts, she started singing a sad song. She was a natural at singing and her clear voice flew far away with the wind. She didn't try to keep her voice low, as she was sure that all the islanders would be far away enjoying with their loved ones. She was very wrong.

The prince of Maldives was a very simple person who preferred to spend his time alone rather than taking part in fun filled activities. Right at that moment he was strolling on the beach, thinking that he was alone. He was wrong too. Amina's melodious voice interrupted his thoughts and he was mesmerized. What a lovely voice! he thought. he started making his way towards the voice, knowing that he had found his match. He was immensely surprised to see that it belonged to a pauper almost about his age. He called out her and Amina ran away terrified of being discovered singing so loudly. She ran and ran until she finally reached home. It was only then that she realized  that one of her shoes had fallen off. Sadly, she went and hid the remaining shoe.

Meanwhile, the prince took the shoe Amina left on the beach. he took it back to the palace and announced that he will marry the owner of the shoe. Amina's adopted sisters made sure that she couldn't even step out of the house when they found out.

The royal servants of the palace visited each and every house in the island in search of the girl. When they visited Amina's home the twins tried to put their feet in the shoes,  but all their hard work went in vain. When they became unsuccessful they tried to hide Amina away. However, the royal servants searched the entire house and found Amina locked in the storage room. The shoe fit her perfectly!

Amina was taken to the royal palace where she produced the other shoe too. The prince married her and she lived happily ever after, away from her adopted family.