The short story

"You suck!" She said.

No one seemed to see or hear the gunshot that rang in the victim's ears. She gasped and clutched her heart feeling the bullet dig deep. The girl who had said the words left, not seeing the pain she had caused the other girl. The other girl was having a hard time keeping the tears at bay. Blood covered her fingers, no one noticed how much pain this girl was in. Emily later critiqued herself for being weak for falling down, for falling over. She was bandaged but it was going to leave a scar. The next day the girl, Lily, came up to her again laughing. Emily just smiled clutching her chest in memory.

Eventually, another girl came up to her and laughed, kicking her right where the bullet was still lodged in her heart. Keeping a smile on her face Emily clutched her wound as it started bleeding profusely. What do you do when you're bleeding but no one sees? She was confused. A boy came up to her seeing her gasping and laughed. Emily couldn't take it any longer. She collapsed gasping for air trying to breathe. Something was preventing her from getting air. Emily lost sight but if she could've still seen she would've known that everyone was gathering laughing at her.

But still, Emily smiled as the last of the sunlight slipped from her grip, as it left her completely. But still, Emily got back up, ran to the bathroom while they were still laughing, and bandaged herself up. It wasn't perfect but Emily would make it work. Her friends came running up to her smiling telling her about good times they had over the weekend while she smiled and nodded. Nobody realized how quiet she was so that was what Emily did she suffered in silence.

Years later someone noticed that Emily hadn't been talking. Her mom trying to think of the last thing her daughter had willingly talked went to a therapist. The therapist put their gloves on and prepared to remove the bullet. It hurt Emily to go through this process of removing the bullet. It left an imprint for it had been in her heart a long time.

Emily learned to cope with the stuff everyone said. She got her happily ever after.