Sunlight is Golden

Alright people. This is a new story I just decided to start. Hope you like it. Please Comment and let me know what you think. Vote if you like it. Fan if you want. Also check out my other story Dancing with the Muted Rain. This hasn't been edited so I apologize for any mistakes.

Thanks for reading.

I could feel the warm heat on my skin making it tingle in delight. I opened my eyes to see the rays of sunlight coming through the trees for the first time in my life. Yes, that's right. I haven't seen the sun before. Immediately when I was born, my mother and I were thrown in a room with no light what-so-ever. We stayed there for what my mother called, 'years'. She taught me what shapes were and described different things to me. We got food twice a day, even though I always called our days nights. I asked my mother how old I was but she couldn't give me an exact answer.

"11 or 12 maybe?" was the only answer she'd ever give me. My so called, 'father' was the head person in a gang of something called the, Mafia. I didn't know exactly what a gang was either, but mom said that they were bad people and that they could end your life.

One night when my mother and I were about to fall asleep the door to our room bursted open.

"We're being attacked. Leave! If either of you mention us to a single soul we will find you an kill you." The man shouted at us and left.

"Who was that Mom?" I asked quietly.

"Your Father. Honey, we gotta leave now." She grabbed my hand and pulled me out through the door. Honey, that's all she ever called me. I never really had a real name. I figured since I was never leaving that place, I didn't need one. I heard a loud sound and my mother screaked at the sound.

"What was that?" I asked pulling myself closely to her.

"Gun shots. Honey, you must run. If you hear that sound run faster. Don't look back." She said pushing me forward.

"Mom aren't you coming?" I asked refusing to let go of her hand.

"No, you won't make it out of here if I do. You must go, but promise me one thing."

"Yes, anything!" I said hoping to make her happy.

"Ruin your Father. Ruin this group, destroy the Mafia." She said placing a hand on my cheek.

"Yes, I promise."

"Good, now go. Get out of here." She pushed me once more and I unwillingly let go of her dirty hand. I ran through many doorways and found something on the floor. I stared at it for a moment and remembered my mother telling me it was silverware, but this looked different. It was bigger and looked a lot sharper than the 'butter knife' my mother used before. I picked it up and the other weird looking object next to it hoping it would help me later. I ran through another door and saw what I was looking for. A way out. I looked at the place outside the door in wonder and remembered something my mother had told me before.

"Mom, what's outside?" I asked hearing her repeat the word over and over again.

"It's beautiful. There's grass, trees, dirt, bushes, and animals." She said looking of in a distance like she was dreaming.

"What's grass, and bushes, and trees? What is an animal?" I knew what dirt was since we practically lived in it. Whatever the stuff was, my mother made it sound wonderful.

"Grass is green stuff that comes out of the ground. It is lovely to lay out on it in the summer." She said with a longing look. I coughed bringing her back to the room. "Bushes and trees are almost the same thing. Trees are huge, many times bigger than I. They have long arms called 'branches' with leaves stuck to them. Depending on the season they can be different colors. In the spring they are green, summer they are still green but slowly start to turn yellow and red once it hits fall. In the winter they fall off the trees. Bushes are like trees but smaller. They don't really have leaves either. I'm not exactly sure what to call it." She paused.