Somewhere in Time

In 1972, playwright Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve) becomes fascinated by a photo of Elise McKenna (Jane Seymour), a turn-of-the-century stage actress, while staying at the Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island, Michigan. As Richard's obsession grows, he learns from a friend that time travel may actually be possible through hypnosis. Richard travels in time to meet Elise, and the two appear destined to be together. However, Elise's jealous manager (Christopher Plummer) attempts to keep them apart.

Share the vast romantic idealism of Somewhere in Time, about a love so intense that it transcended decades and violated the sanctity of time itself.
Scenes from this film have stayed with me for a long time and continue to haunt me. Jane Seymour, who is lovely and stunning, reaches out in time to Christopher Reeve, who is young and handsome, in an unforgettable picture of everlasting love. The allure of a love story that transcends time is as poignant and compelling today as it was 37 years ago. Maybe even more so.

It is a historical drama that is part thriller, part time travel romance, and part mystery. Both time periods are depicted admirably, with well-made costumes and compelling sets. At first, the historical dialogue is a little stilted, but it improves as the movie progresses. This may be done on purpose to demonstrate a distinction between different periods of time. It's a film that relies heavily on the audience's participation.  The love story is convincing despite the fact that it has had so little time to grow. It's an intriguing take on time travel, but this isn't so much a story about time travel as it is about love over time.