Falling Into Darkness

When I woke up it was heavily raining outside. The temperature was close to freezing, and I was sure the roads were closed. Today should be exciting and happy, but I’m just not motivated enough to do anything. As I lay down looking at the ceiling, I start to think. The next thing I know, I get an idea for a story. I’ve been waiting for inspiration all year to write the best book of the season. I am a writer. I’m not very known around here, but I try to be. Its hard to be known in a town were no one wants you to live there. I am so unwanted in this town, I don’t even know how to explain it. 

     I moved here two years ago, and I still don’t understand how no one likes me. Everyone in this town is so moody. Its hard to make friends with anyone because everyone is so judge-mental.

     Today is the first day of senior year and I plan to make it an unforgettable experience. I also plan to go to Iowa State Collage after the school year is over. I’ll learn how to be a professional writer/author. I will be one of the best writers in Iowa, and I plan to keep it that way. Thats my goal; I will be the best.  

      When I get to school all eyes are on me. Everyone in school stopped what they were doing to look at me and I for one am not okay with staring. It just creeps me out. In my world, it should be illegal. I get out of my car and start to walk into the building. I don’t even have to look and see if anyone notices I’m here because I can feel them watching me. Its like they have lasers in their eyes because it burns. It almost physically hurts. I can’t take it anymore, so I run off to my class room. This is a new year which means new class rooms. Brilliant me didn’t remember that so I walked into the wrong room. More staring. The harder I try, the worse I fail. In this town I don’t even have to try to fit in, they already hate you. 

     Once I get into the right class room I find a seat and take it. I don’t even care anymore, at this point I have no reason to care of what people think of me. It will never change anyways so why try? 

     It’s 2:58 and I am so ready to leave this school. This has been the longest day of my life, and I’m ready for it to end. I wait. I’m so anxious I feel like I’m going to faint. Im starting panting so much that it started to overwhelm me. Before I knew it, the world went dark. I was on the floor, and I couldn’t breath. My eyes burned with furious pain. I couldn’t cry even if I wanted to. I was in shuck a panic I didn’t realize the sound of an ambulance. Then, all of a sudden, the world went blank.

     When I woke up, the room was bright. I couldn’t tell where I was because my vision (and memory) were still fuzzy. I kept hearing people talking; my mother and father. My mother was crying. My father was quiet, but I could tell he was there. My vision quickly came back, and I could hear normally again. All I am thinking about now is what happened. I have no recollection of anything that had happened, all I know is I was at school. I don’t remember coming home, or even leaving school. My last memory was in Chemistry. I remember paying attention (or trying at least). Oh, now I remember. I was sitting in my desk, heavily breathing. I don’t recall why, but I do know I was dizzy. I slowly started to open my eyes when I saw my mother run over, and hug me. She looked worried, but I could tell why. The doctor walked in and looked at me with a worried look. He had a clip board in his hands. He was very tall and somewhat muscular. He looked at me again and gave me a worried look, like I was going to die. I mean I hope I don’t die. I have a long life planned for me. My dreams of being a writer would be nothing anymore if I was dying. I couldn’t be. I wont be, but he looked at me and said, 

     “Promise Linne, I’m very sorry to say this, but you have a disease thats causing you to..slowly die.” 

     I looked at him like it was a sick joke, but the way he was looking at me I could tell it wasn’t. I started to cry. My mother came to comfort me, but I refused. My father was down the hall on one of the benches. It looked like he was crying also, but I couldn’t tell. The feeling was indescribable. I felt like I was about to faint, but I refused. I looked over at the cord that was keeping me somewhat still moving and alive. I was extremely tempted to pull it out of the socket, but I didn’t. I let my emotions take over, and I started to cry. My mind, heat, and soul were physically broken. I told myself this is the end. There will be no future for me. Only the present, the one thing that now means the most. My time is limited, I know, but know I will have to do as many of my future plans now.

     I told my mother I was fine, but she refused to leave me. I asked the doctor how long I had.  “It seems to me you have a year to live. I’d use your time wisely.”

     There was only one thing on my mind, and that was what I planned to do in my short lifespan.        I asked to talk to my mother alone so I could tell her my plans. I knew she wouldn’t understand, but these things are extremely important to me. I finally looked over at her and said, 

 “I wish to be dead. You need to kill me now. I want you to forfill my dreams.”

     I reached over and pulled the plug to the wall. My mother screamed, but all I knew was it was over because my vision was slowly fading away. My last memory was my mother, father, and doctors running into the room. Then I was gone. . .