Prologue

Filled with alcohol, pain, and anger he sped down the highway. The audition did not go the way he hoped for so alcohol was his solution. Every audition lately has been unsuccessful. This fame, this fortune, and this life have begun to become extremely stressful. Out of nowhere a bright light raced towards him until he was engulfed by it. He was no longer in the car drinking and driving, he was not lying down staring at a clear blue sky.

He sat up and looked straight ahead only to see an open field ending with trees at a distance. Shifting his hands on the ground he felt concrete. Looking down he noticed he was lying on a paved road. So he turned around and saw that the road started from where he sat and led to a building in the distance. After giving it some thought he decided that he would journey to the building. A chill ran down his spine as he took one last glance at the open field. Ignoring it, thinking it was nothing he quickly walked towards the structure at the end of the road.

Upon reaching the building he noticed there was no door. So he decided to circle around the structure to find an entrance, but did not find one. Coming back around to the front of the building, a man wrapped in a blanket laid in the fetal position. He dressed as if he were homeless.  Before he could speak, the mysterious man spoke.

“The entrance cannot be sought; it is earned then given…” Confused about what he said he made a harsh attempt to understand.

“I don’t understand. Where am I? Why am I here?”

“You are here because you were chosen to be here, and now you must learn about the secrets of life.”

Wings suddenly sprouted out of his back tearing his shirt, flapping on their own and causing him to ascend. The wings weren’t in his control. At first glance they looked like normal bird wings, but after taking a careful examination of them they looked like wings you normally see portray angels. When he reached high above the walls he noticed that there is no roof. It looked like the four walls contained a pit of darkness. He stopped around twenty feet above the walls then a light shined on his chest, simultaneously his wings collapsed. Closing his eyes almost the exact moment he entered the darkness out of fear and almost immediately after that he opened them once hearing the sounds of footsteps. He appeared in what looked to be a lobby.

Glancing around he saw a desk with an awkward looking man behind it. It looked as though one of his wings were missing. Walking over to the desk, he noticed that the word “FATE” was written on the top of the desk. The strangely winged man began to speak, “Welcome to FATE. I am Mark, the Guardian of the Door of Fate. Through this door…”

“Where am I? What is this place?” cutting him off.

“I am unable to answer that. That is something only you can answer. I am only a Guardian. Seeing that you have been brought here, you have the option to view your fate.”

“My fate? As in my future? Why wouldn’t I?” he spoke without hesitation. “I want to see it.”

The man walked over to the door about four feet from his desk and put his hand on a door knob. After a moment a door appeared in place of the wall. “You must know, seeing your fate comes with devastating consequences, there is no going back once you enter. You must walk forward on your path of life.”

Mark could see that he did not care. At this point it seemed stopping a charging bull with your bare hands would be an easier task. With a twist of the door knob Mark opened the door into the darkness within.

Once inside Mark shut the door behind him. It was dark, alone in the dark not knowing what was going to happen next. Then a road illuminated in the dark, a weird looking brick path.

He didn’t walk at first, until something nudged him onto the brick road and the darkness immediately changed. It now showed his fate, future, path, his purpose in life. Meanwhile, unnoticeably behind him the brick road disappeared into the darkness below as he walked.