Chapter 1: The Job

It's the end of the school year, and I'm FREE from the books. Turning 18 in six more months. Not the best month to be 18, but it would do. Nothing much is happening in this town. We are laid-back farmers. The only outsiders we have are the truck drivers that come in now and then. Mom is one of them. She took over Dad's truck after we lost him five years ago. Mom's dating Sheriff Johnson now. A generous single man with a perfect life. Something that we're lack in the past years. Debts and bills have been our monthly struggle. Now that I'm finally out of school, I could help mum with the expenses. Maybe she would be able to stay home more often.

Today I'm going into town to look for jobs. Sheriff Johnson was nice enough to give me a ride. Not for long, I'll be able to pay my bus fare after my first salary.

"Here's a graduation gift for you to start your adult life," he said.

"Joe, you gave me a bouquet for my graduation," I hesitate.

"Open it. You'll love it. It's what you need right now," Joe said.

I tear the side of the beautifully wrapped box, and inside was an expensive gift I could never afford.

"Joe, I have a phone," I said.

"Not one with unlimited data. The best thing about it is that you could video call Jenna at any time of the day with this," Sheriff Johnson added.

"Thanks, Joe," I gave him a hug.

"Call me when you're done. I'll give you a ride home," Joe said before driving off.

I went to Mr. Holter's shop to look at jobs posted in the papers. There mainly were carpentry and farm jobs. Only three were within my possibilities: a flower shop assistant, a waitress at The Fritters, and a caregiver. I went to the flower shop for the interview, they said they were looking for someone with experience. Walked to Jungeon Street and met the Lordness family, and had the Caregiver interview. I was not fond of the job because it requires me to clean an old man in his bed. I'm not ready for that. I've never even seen a man shirtless my whole life—a bar where the truckers hang out. A lot of tales were told of the place. A place of sins is what the churchgoers would describe it. I don't think mum would approve of it. Anyway, it's not open now till seven at night. Won't be able to slide in for an interview even if I wanted to.

That evening, Joe came over and made dinner. He looks after me whenever mom's away.

"I'll do the dishes."

"As you wish. I'll leave you to it. Call me if you need anything," Joe said before he gets into his patrol car and drives home.

That night I couldn't sleep. Should I take the Care Giver job? I don't think I would be comfortable doing anything that they expected of me. The Flower shop assistant was the first on my list. But I wasn't qualified enough for it. What a bummer! I need a job, but none is for me. Can't leave mum handling the bills for the rest of my life. She needs to start living for herself. If I get a good job and move out. She could finally sell this house to pay our debts and settle down here with Joe.

I need to get a job. It's something I must do. I'll Google the job description; maybe it's something that I could force myself to do. Spend the whole night reading and watching videos till I finally fell asleep.

"Good morning, princess! Come down. I've made pancakes."

"What time is it?"

"It's 10a.m."

Mum's home. She could have told me that she'll be home today. I wouldn't have spent the whole night researching when I could easily ask her opinion.