Rats on the Ten Yard Line

By Elway Monsoon

Chapter 1:

"Okay...Long Drop...Fast Eyes!" Coach Henning said. "Go!"

The three quarterbacks shuffled backwards up the football field. Gripping the pig-skin in the thrower's position they waited for their moment to speak. Quickly, Henning lifted his right arm up and showed a number with his fingers. Then, he raised his left arm and showed another number. The process was repeated. Henning raised his right arm and then his left.

"Two...Three...Five...Two..." Mark Holly shouted.

"One...Three...One...Four..." McMichael said next.

"Nice hustle!" Henning yelled. "You all look great. A real Rat-Pack! McMichael, watch the footwork, watch the footwork."

"What's going on here?" Jo-Jo shouted coming onto the field.

Jo-Jo Daniels instantly recognized the quarterback drill. It was a backdrop and look exercise. Basic stuff you see in quarterback practice, like "Push/Snap/Fire" and "Base to Hitch" drills.

"Hey Coach!" Jo-Jo shouted coming onto the field. "What's going on?"

"Nice of you to join us," Coach Henning said facing towards the field. "Are you going to get some pads on or what? We got some reps to do..."

"I thought I was your starting quarterback?" Jo-Jo said. "Who are these guys?"

The three football players stopped and stared. McMichael took off his helmet. Holly put both hands on his hips and sighed.

"What do you mean?" Coach Henning asked Jo-Jo. "It's a standard football practice?"

"Even I know you can't have three backup quarterbacks." Jo-Jo said. "This can't be right. You and I had an agreement. You told my mother and me that I would be the starter for the team."

"That's funny, I don't recall saying that." Coach Henning then turned to one of his assistants. "Fred, do you remember me telling you about Jo-Jo here, being are first string guy?"

Fred was a short dumpy coach with his sleeves rolled up. Under his caterpillar eyebrows he merely squinted at Jo-Jo and spit his sunflower seeds on the ground.

"Not at all," Fred replied. "...and I should know. I'm the university's quarterback coach."

Coach Henning turned to the side and took out a small black comb from his pocket. With a slow streak he ran it through his blonde hair. In a few seconds the blonde ocean became a field of rows going down to the back of his neck.

"But you did say that." Jo-Jo explained. "You said I was your number one target? That's why you came to my house first. You said that Coach...you told me I would bring you a championship ring."

"Come on kid, what do you think I'm working on right now?" Henning said. "It's what's best for the team."

"You said you needed me to come and play right away," Jo-Jo said, interrupting the coach. "You wanted me here. You said you needed me here. I had to be an Orangemen. Those were the words said to me. I heard them. You said that in my momma's living room."

"This ain't your momma's living room, kid. This is the big leagues. This is Syracuse. You're here now and you got to put in your work."

"Would you listen to me, please? Jo-Jo shouted. "You can't even look at me..."

Henning went up to the kid and pressed his chest against his. With a look of disgust he then looked over Jo-Jo over, starting with the top of his fade haircut to the bottom of his chin, where a goatee of hair looked like a puddle coating his chin.