Warriors of Olympus

(Warriors ~ Imagine Dragons)

  The city was quite as the rain poured from the sky. Although Boston was never truly quite, it was void of people tonight. You guessed it was the same.

  No one would have dared to risk having to go out into this mess. But some people didn't get the memo. Someone like your mother.

  You sat at your bedroom window with your eyes glued to the driveway. Your mom was a decent driver, but still you worried.

  The rain pelted the ground hard, you could barely see out the window. Wind rattled the shutters and whistled through the trees. You couldn't imagine anyone being able to drive in this.

  Your heart rate grew faster with every passing minute. How long has she been gone? Three hours? How long could it possibly be to pick up something from the office?

  She should have been back by now. If anything happened to her...you didn't even want to think about it.

  Your mom was the only family you had. No aunts. No uncles. No brothers or sisters. No father. You and your mother only had each other.

  It was like that for as long as you could remember.

  A bitter taste formed in your mouth when you thought about your father. Supposedly he had been the best man your mother had ever met. She told you that you had his hair and his eyes.

  When you finally got up the nerve to ask her why she spoke so highly of him even after he had left them alone she broke down in tears. After that day you never asked about him again.

  Thinking about your father distracted you from the thoughts of your mother being in trouble. You didn't know which one was worse.

  A loud crack of thunder echoed throughout your Boston apartment.     Lightning cracked across the sky casting fake light through your window.

  Your eyes watered at the sudden display of light and you turned your face away from the glass.

  You wrapped the blanket you had around you tighter as you let your legs drop from the chair.

  Your bare feet touched the cold wood floor. The chill from the floor traveled up through your feet into your bones.

  With one last glance out the window you picked yourself up and headed to the kitchen.

  All this worrying was making you hungry.

  You entered the kitchen and thunder cracked again making you flinch. You were never a fan of loud noises, especially alone at night.

  The kitchen floor was flooded with light as you opened the fridge and grabbed the closest thing, leftover Chicken Alfredo from the other day.

  You popped it into the microwave and padded over to the closest window.

  You peeked out and casted your eyes to the drive way, still no sign of your mother's car.

  This wasn't like her to be late. She had called you to say she was on her way home from grocery shopping but she had to stop at the office on her way. That call was over three hours ago.

  A feeling of foreboding filled your body as you watched the droplets of rain race down the cold glass. Your breath fogged against the window.

  A ding went off behind you letting you know the food was done. You suddenly lost your appetite.

  You took out the Chicken Alfredo and set it down on the counter, walking back to the window.

  This time when you looked out the glass a figure was standing across the street. You couldn't make out much, except for a long black trench coat and a hat pulled down against its face.