◘Chapter One: Safety in Isolation◘

The smell of the eastern white pine.

The morning air was cool and damp, sitting heavily in Marlo's lungs as she breathed deeply. Symphonies of earthy scents accompanied the rising sun in a soothing manner, and she smiled softly.

These were her favorite moments. The weather was perfect, and the forest surrounding her hummed with life. Best of all, she was completely alone. Her quaint cabin was situated in the heart of the forest, far away from any cities, and definitely away from people. They weren't really her 'thing', so to speak. In her profession, it was in your best interest to avoid them anyway. Having too many connections made you vulnerable. She sighed heavily, willing the sunshine to melt away the stress bunched up in her shoulders.

Marlo almost felt guilt for relishing the summer morning. It wasn't often she had opportunities to truly relax, and yet when she did have the chance, she felt anxious. It really wasn't a good idea to let her guard down for long. But surely a few minutes couldn't hurt? She sunk deeper into her worn out chair, fluttering her eyes shut.

Crack

A twig snapped to the left of her small hut. Her hand immediately flashed to the brass dagger strapped to her thigh. It remained sheathed, but at the ready. Cursing under her breath for not bringing a better weapon onto the porch with her, she stood slowly and turned to face the disturbance.

"Hey Marlo! Nice morning, huh?" The familiar figure of her boss stepped into her view. Boss wasn't quite the right word, but probably the closest word she could think of. He sauntered towards her, acting like he hadn't a care in the world.

"...Thomas." She spoke curtly and coldly. Thomas wouldn't have any reason to be here. She glared at him. He knows better. The air crackled with intensity, but he didn't seem to notice or care. He smiled wide, looking her up and down.

"Warm as ever, I see." He laughed, more so to himself, and continued to approach. "Just thought I'd check up on you. Must get real lonely in these woods by yourself."

"Since when did you make house calls?" Marlo tensed as he approached. Just a little closer, she thought, praying she was the only one who could hear her rapid heartbeat. Damn these nerves! She narrowed her eyes and bit the inside of her cheek. Just a few more steps; then I can know for sure.

"Hey! Just because I haven't done it before doesn't mean I can't start!" Thomas pouted, now on the porch and only a few feet away. "I want to take better care of my friends! Have some faith in me!" He laughed again and plopped a hand on her shoulder, definitely gripping slightly harder than necessary.

Now.

"What is both stronger and weaker than steel?" She glared up at him. The confusion that flashed through his familiar eyes was all the confirmation she needed.

"Wha-!?" Marlo threw his arm off, drawing her dagger and lunging for his chest. 'Thomas', however, reacted quickly and plunged his heel into her stomach, kicking her several meters back into the grass. She recovered quickly, finding her footing and ignoring the scrapes that stung her arms and back.

"I knew it, izdaja." She spat furiously. A taunting smile then played on her lips. "You must be an amateur though. Taking the form of someone who hunts your kind is pretty damn stupid. You don't know our code."