CHAPTER 1

December 31st 1968, London

“Now is the perfect time.” I encourage myself as I manage to walk myself to the bathroom.

I feel everything that trembles inside of me, I stare at my hideous tired looking face in the mirror in front of me.

 “You can end this painful thoughts Eff.” I said to myself, to keep my feeling from overwhelming me.  

 I’m at this small bar, on the last day of 1968.  It’s New Year’s Eve. I walk back to the bar to order another beer and one single Jack Daniels, I was looking at the people that surrounds this place, my mind was blank until I notice the chair right next to me is know being occupied by a young man with a long dark brown hair.

        “Hey long time no see, you must’ve been very busy, how’s the business          going?” I hear the bartender talking to him.

        “We’re off for Christmas holiday.” The young man replied.

I’m not actually into sneaking to steal their conversation with my two open ears, but they were practically talking slightly screaming at each other because there were a lot of people and the music was very loud. They were talking about what’s to come in the 1969 and 70’s.

        I cleared my throat and sip my beer, slightly glance and startled when I found that the young man is actually staring at me right now.

         “How many?” he ask

        “pardon?” I don’t understand

        “How many glass have you drank? Seems a lot.” He chuckles

         “Just four glass of beer and two single Jack Daniels.” I chuckle back and continue,

        “Why?”

        “Haha, just asking, because it’s not New Year, yet. It’s actually still nine, and I see that you already a little tipsy and all alone.” he sips his beer.    

 I’m a bit pissed, it’s none of his business if I get drunk or anything but I see he has a point.

        “I suppose I just love to drink anywhere, anytime.” I replied followed by laughter,

         “oh, I see.” He ends the conversation. I’m not surprised, I always closes my door for strangers.

         Suddenly, I hear Somebody To Love by Jefferson Airplane is on the air. I can’t help but hum to the song and do a Grace Slick copy

When the garden flowers

Baby, are dead, yes

And your mind, your mind

Is so full of red

         “So I guess, you like Jefferson Airplane?” he ask me

        “Yes, but just average like. Not a fan.” I replied trying so hard to end the conversation

        “But do you like music, I mean, love?”

        “With every inch of my body, every part of my body and soul love music.” I  replied

        He chuckles.

        We end up talking about music from the 30’s blues to 60’s rock and psychedelic, he actually some sort of walking encyclopedia of music, art, life, in fact, one of the smartest person I have ever met in my life and I was being drawn by him, by his intelligence and of course with his beautiful angelic, thin face.

        I admit, at first I was annoyed but then, as we talk even further, I started to like him. And our conversation is flowing from one topic to another. It goes deeper and deeper, and he has this positive energy that filled in his body, by the way he talks.

        “it’s almost New Year! Everybody count from ten!” someone yelled, and everyone at the bar started to count including me, I’m going to make it this year, I thought.

         “3,  2,  1! Happy New Year!”  there were a lot of people, wearing their outrageous clothes with one glass in one hand, kissing each other and hugging everyone to congratulates.

        “Well, I guess Happy New Year.” He said as soon as we arrived at my house and he hug me.

        “Happy New Year too.”

Thanks for keeping me alive, tonight.

         “It’s very nice to meet you, I have a very nice time and enjoying every stitch of our conversation, but I realized, we haven’t introduced ourselves.”

          “I almost forgot! I’m Adrasteia Nevelyn Edgar, you may call me Effie, and I am very pleased to meet you.” I smiled and thrust my hand to shake his.

           “I’m James Page.” He shake my hand.

           “It has been a lovely night, thank you.” He said and clear his throat.

           “I’ve been thinking of asking you, as you said before, you missed those days when you go to a gig. Well, actually I heard this band called Led Zeppelin is going to play a gig at the Playhouse Theatre on January 3, do you know them?”

          “Yes, I know them, they haven’t released any album yet but they’re so famous and has been spoken from mouth to mouth. I’m dying to see them, to know what they sound like, everyone says they are very hard and loud.”

He smirked when I admit my curiousness to know Led Zeppelin.

         “Well, do you want to go to the gig with me?” he waits for my answer while biting his lips.

          “Okay, I’ll go there with you. What time?” I ask, with much enthusiasm showing on my face.

          “The show will start at  7 pm, as I remembered. But, I can’t pick you up, I’m very sorry, but I’ll send someone to pick you up, how about that?”

          “Oh, I can go there on my own.”

          “I insist.”

He step closer to me, standing right in front of me, only a few inch away.

        “Alright then.” I gave him a very shy smile,

        “Here’s my complete address.” I put out my pen and paper, write it down and hand it to him.  

        “I guess I’ll see you soon.” I smiled and he kissed me, he actually kissed me! and his fruity tasty lips feel so warm.

        “Goodbye, Eff.” I watched him as he walk to the dark side of the road and disappear from my sight.

I can’t deny.

It actually was, a very lovely evening.