A very close call

It's a normal October evening, it's Halloween and every child on the block is dressed up in a costume going trick-or-treat. Like the rest of them, you (the reader) and I (the writer) leave for a night of trick-or-treating not knowing what the night has in store for us. My mum told us to take an umbrella, she thought it looked like it was going to rain. We refused and headed our way down the block. We collected a lot of candy for one block. Many people were a lot more generous this Halloween. Even grumpy old MR.harrison was nice. "This is very weird,'' you say. "I know" I replied "MR.harrison gave us candy. That's NOT normal of him." Anyway we headed towards the next block, same happened there, everyone was so generous. It almost felt like everyone was threatened to be nice. Things started to get weird, you and I feel it. As if someone was following us. We looked behind us but no one was there, just kids going to the same houses we just went to. I wanted to go home but you said you want to explore some more. We go-ahead to a block we have never been to. I start to get creepy vibes as if someone was watching us, following us. But the street was empty. We knocked on the door of the first house, no one answered, we knocked again, no one answered. We tried a few more houses and no one answered them either. I say "I think we should go home. I am getting this creepy feeling that someone is watching us." "Are you scared?" you ask mockingly "no!" I replied "but I don't feel safe here. And remember my mum told us not to go too far and return home before it gets too dark." Just then it starts to rain. "Oh shoot." You say "we should have bought the umbrella your mother gave us. And we are so far from home. we must find shelter" just then as if hearing us for the first time an old lady opens the door. She beckons us to come to her. You go but I hesitate "but she is a stranger!" I say "it's never a good idea to go into someone's house unless you know them well!" "But it's raining and we are so far from home we will leave as soon as it stops raining," you say. I hesitate but go inside. The old lady told us to come inside. "You both must be so cold,'' she said. Come in and I shall give you warm milk" she said. We went inside the house but don't drink. There is a very eerie feeling in the air. The old lady tries to take personal information out of us, such as our house address, names, and stuff. We both manage not to let any of it slip and avoid the question. Then the rain stopped and we both got up to leave but the woman stopped us. She tried to kindly say "oh. Please stay a little while longer" but there was a sternness in her voice that gave me the creeps. "Well, we must get going my......" ring...ring......ring saved by the phone. The lady went to answer the phone we both ran out of the house as fast as our legs could carry us. We ran down the block and did not look back till we reached my house. We go inside and lock the door. At one point while we were running for our lives I felt as if the old lady was running after us. Thankfully she wasn't. "Told you it was not a good idea to go into a stranger's house." I said "sorry but i was tempted she looked so nice and kind." You said "nice and kind UNTIL we were about to leave! Did you hear the sternness in her voice when we were leaving?" I said angrily. "Yeah sorry, I have learned my lesson. But can we please not tell anyone?" "Yeah, I agree."

A FEW WEEKS LATER............

The news was on, you and I were sitting on the sofa eating ice cream. The news was about an old woman that lived a few blocks down our neighbourhood. We recognize it as the same block we went to a few weeks before Halloween. The news showed the same woman that invited us inside her house. The news reporter said that she was a kidnapper who the police finally caught. We both look at each other. We know how close we were to our life's end. We both the run up to my room and close the door. "Do you know what a narrow escape that was,'' I said to you? "I- I- I think I might not be able to sleep ever again knowing how close we were to being kidnapped." You say. "Think about what could have happened if we were gullible enough to stay a little longer." That sends shivers down our spines "yeah better be careful from now onwards." And we both resume our day but this incident will always stay in our heads. It taught us a lesson.