Chapter 1 - We're going to Singapore!

"What did you say?" I asked my mum to repeat herself.

"We're moving to Singapore, sweetheart."

"Where is that even and why? It's not on the world map plus, Daddy's a CEO. We could migrate to somewhere else like Australia or Canada or-"

"Your father's company gave out and went bankrupt, and my bakery shop doesn't attract many customers anymore. Maybe if we move to Singapore, it'll be different. Your father will set his company in Singapore while I'll look for a shop to rent for my bakery shop. It's like starting afresh," Mum explained.

"What about me?"

"You'll be fine, Rivera. Your father has booked tickets for us and he knows what to do once we're there," Mum paused. "In the meantime, say your farewell to Hannah because you won't be seeing her for a few months. No buts or whys. Just do what you're told, pack your bags and wait for your father to get home."

I sighed and walked upstairs to my room. I looked around my beautiful room. I looked at my medals from my track and field competitions. I'd miss these. I'd miss being in London. I'd miss my school, Kingsbury High. I'd miss my best friend, Hannah.

Hannah was my one and only friend. Back in middle school on my second year, I was bullied by a bunch of mean girls. Because of that, I got into a serious school phobia and I was home-schooled until Daddy decided that I'm alright to attend High School in my freshman year. I made many friends but Hannah was the only one who understands me. I tell her everything and she never judged me for that.

I called Hannah to bid my farewell and she was devastated by the sudden news. We would miss each other a lot. We would neither shop nor have sleepover every weekend anymore. We promised each other to send emails once a week so we would know that each of us is doing alright. I cried the moment I ended my call with her. I said goodbye to her on the phone. I wanted to hug her so much.

I wiped my tears away and decided to pack my stuff and bring my most valuable items such as my diary, wallet, clothes that are pretty and of course, my phone. Daddy used to buy for me expensive items but now he had gone bankrupt. I doubt he'll buy me anything expensive at Singapore. I stuffed everything inside my luggage and hand-carry bag. The moment I had finished packing, the doorbell rang.

I rushed downstairs to see Daddy showing the plane tickets to Mum. Both of them seemed pretty happy to fly to a small island. Mum mentions something about "hoping everything will go smoothly in Singapore".

Daddy noticed that I was hiding behind the wall so he called me to come over. He apologized to us for the sudden news of going to Singapore and he had bought us a direct flight tickets so we will leave our house in an hours' time.

I carried my two luggage and one hand-carry bag downstairs while Daddy and Mummy had each one luggage with them. I over-packed by bringing two luggage and one hand-carry bag but they said it was okay because I was not used to travelling overseas. Daddy told us that he had sold our car so that he could change it to Singapore currency.

I was so reluctant to leave our house but we had no other choice. My parents wanted to start anew in a different environment and I had to respect their decision.

We travelled to London Heathrow Airport by the Taxi and once we reached there, we checked in and chilled for a moment while waiting for our flight. It's a 13 hour flight. I must be mad to travel in an airplane that long. I will probably get jet lag.

I am pretty nervous to travel. I've never been to or heard about Singapore before. The real question is this, which school would I be going to. Will it be an international school or a neighbourhood school? What is the weather there like? Will I make new friends? Will I not get bullied? Will Daddy and Mummy be able to earn money there?