Once Upon A Time

Our fairy tale doesn't start with once upon a time. It starts with the celebration of princess Rapunzal's 18th birthday.

Today, she is old enough to be married.

ฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩฯΩ

"Dear mother, can I not be wed until the next summer? I fear I am not ready for a stranger to be my husband." Rapunzal sat at her wooden desk, her skirts around her like a velvet pond.

Her mother gave her a pitied look. "No, my darling, your father has chosen someone who is good for you. If I could, I would change things, but you know I have no say."

Rapunzal was scared, she felt she was too young to get married. She wanted to travel the world, and meet new people. She wanted to see new places.

She did not want children at the age of nineteen, nor to be tied down by some alliance. Alas, that alliance was to save her kingdom from future wars that threatened it.

That was her role, anyways. As the princess, she had the most important part of peace making.

Her mother did not understand her distress because she married her father and they fell in love instantly. Then they had her, and it had been the happiest day of their lives.

"Oh, calm down. You'll learn to love him when you get to know each other."

"But, mother, what if I don't fancy him? What happens then?" Her mother scolded her then.

"Don't question your father, he knows best. Now, do as you're told and get ready for the announcement of your engagement." Her mother gathered her swan colored skirts with the gracefulness of a queen, and exited her daughter's chambers.

Rapunzal sighed and whispered. "Yes, mother."

Rapunzal walked to her closet, separating the special white dress the seamstress, best in the kingdom, had made for this special occasion.

She quickly went to the washroom, took a quick bath, and put the dress on with the help of some maids. First was the corset, then the undergarments.

After being bathed in perfume, her hair needed to be fixed up. Rapunzel had long, golden, silky curls that shined in the sun. Her hair was thick, and long, so the maids decided to put it in a braid.

They decorated the braid with pink marigolds and blue tulips. I look beautiful, she thought as she took in her appearance in the full sized mirror.

The party would start in an hour, so she had enough time to prepare herslef mentally.

|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|

The guests arrived in small groups, most of the were nobles from the east, others were cousins from the west. Either way, they were all important to the royal family.

Finally, the banquete hall filled gradually, the musicians started to play the music. The servants were passing out little snacks and beverages.

Everything was perfect, but one thing. This should have made Rapunzal happy, but she felt forced into the situation. There was no convincing that she would love her fiancé at first sight.

No guarantee she would ever love him, ever. She felt like she was a bad daughter for not accepting this great gift of maturity from her parents.

As minutes became hours, it was time to make her descent. The anouncer took his place on the stand and began to speak.

"Presenting the fairest maiden of all, the heir to the royal family's honor, name and the future queen of our beloved kingdom, Niflheim. And her coming of age, Princess Rapunzal!"

The clapping and cheering started. She took a deep breath and the gaurds oppened the doors for her grand entrance. She went down the hallway, and down the stairs slowly, ever so gracefully.

She was waving at all of her invites like a true princess, with her back straight, shoulders down, and a pearly white smile. Once she reached the bottom of the stairs, he father took her hand.

He led her to the front of the crowd where everyone was listening eagerly, hugged her and said. "I'm so proud of you," he gave her a twirl," you're a grown woman. You grew up so fast."

She snuck a glance at her mother behind her father, she was crying, smiling with happiness at her. She took her mother and fathers' hand in both of hers.

"Thank you father, mother, for everyhing. I am grateful for your love. I love you both so much." She hugged them both.

The anouncer went to the stand again.

"Presenting heir to the throne of the kingdom to the north, Asculas. Prince Julian. Princess Rapunzals' fiancé."

Then the grand doors oppened and walked in the prince.