aoinene ♥

aoi never let her smile reach her eyes. she never let people know how she really felt. she never let people get to her.

really, she didn't.

and yet, a simple 'i love you', from nene was able to break her through her mask. except, it wasn't simple. it meant everything to her.

gods, this was so embarrassing! she didn't think she would ever be caught in this position. she was always so careful with what people were doing around her.

immediately, when the tears fell nene dropped her books, (english books, ofc) and held aoi tightly.

"i-i'm so sorry, ao-chan! i didn't mean to upset you! i know this was probably so sudden!!"

aoi felt herself stiff under nene's arms. huh?

she thought...aoi didn't return her feelings?

aoi pushed herself away from nene and instantly regretted it when she saw the way nene flinched. she started to wipe away her tears, aggressively, so she could get at least a few words out.

"nene-chan.." nene locked eyes with her. aoi didn't know how to feel. she certainly didn't think this was a trick—nene was one of the most kindest, and most genuine people out there. and yet, it felt so unreal. almost as if it was a dream.

aoi opened her mouth—and then closed it. she had no idea what to say. the words were in her head but she just couldn't get anything out.

"me too..." she finally whispered. nene rose her eyebrows and tilted her head, which aoi thought was incredibly cute.

"i like you too! erm-love, i mean." aoi stuttered.

she never stuttered. she saw the way nene's eyes expanded and could nearly see fireworks in them. her beautiful ruby eyes were always a feature that aoi had adored on nene. nene smiled (which aoi could never imagine getting tired of seeing) and started to tear up herself. however, nene quickly wiped them away.

"i'm..i'm so glad,

i never imagined this, ao-chan. you were always so perfect, and so organized. and i'm chaotic and immature and  boring and—" aoi immediately cut nene off before she could finish that (run on) sentence. she shook her head and laughed, softly.

"nene-chan. you have no idea, huh? i love every single thing about you. from your personality to your legs. everything about you is adorable." aoi's smile faltered, and she felt thick tears running down her cheek again. nene hadn't said anything and was just staring intently at aoi.

suddenly, warm arms rushed her into a hug. she heard wailing, as she felt nene push her face into her shoulder. aoi didn't know what to think—she felt.... happy. she really did.

"ao-chan! i'm so lucky to have you!! so lucky! i'm sorry for keeping secrets and i'm sorry for leaving you in the dark! you really are the most important person to me! thank you!"

aoi rose her arms, and hugged nene back. she looked at the books, still on the floor. the classroom was dark and empty but now it felt colorful and vibrant. the sunset reflected so beautifully on nene's hair and eyes. she couldn't look away. she ran her fingers through nene's long silky hair. this moment was the best moment of her life, she presumed. she had never felt so happy in her entire life.

"no, thank you." aoi whispered into her ear. nene pulled back from the hug and pecked aoi's cheek.

aoi blushed and looked away. she wasn't used to affection like this—the occasional hugs from relatives she didn't care about were the usual for her.

emotional hugs after love confessions were not.

the tears just couldn't stop coming. she wasn't even sad? she had never felt this way before...why can't she just stop crying.

"ao-chan?"

"sorry, nene-chan. i really don't know why i'm crying. i promise i'm not sad."

nene burst into laughter and started clutching her chest. aoi looked confused.

"you're happy! those are called happy tears!"

"oh..." aoi still didn't get it. she never had happy tears before? usually, nene is the one crying not her.

nene picked up her books and put them all in her bag, along with aoi's.

she reluctantly locked her fingers with nene. she really didn't want nene to see her like this, but she went on. she put on a smile and led nene to the door.

"shall we go?"

"yes! anywhere with you!"

aoi walked straight into the wall after experiencing  the aftershock from the cuteness of that sentence.