Finally Leaving the Nest

Growing up, I always listened to my parents. My mother and father would often tell me, "we know what's best for you." And being raised in an Asian American household, it felt like obedience was part of my DNA.

I did everything I could to make my parents proud. From top test scores to extracurricular excellence, I strived to be the perfect daughter. I was very close with my parents. And even after graduating from college and landing a full-time job, I moved back home because my parents wanted me to. But there was one area where I fell short in my parents' eyes, and that was my love life.

You see, I had become so perfect to my parents that they would never accept anything less than perfection from a potential life partner. My parents didn't like any of my boyfriends even though they all treated me like a princess. I even broke up with one guy because my parents were so upset that he was shorter than me. I wasn't in control of my own life. And the worst part was that I didn't even realize it at the time.

And then Ben came along. I fell deeply in love with him. And even though my parents gave me a hard time, I still wanted to be with him. With each year that passed, my parents' opinions of my relationship mattered less and less to me.

When Ben and I started talking about marriage, I was excited and terrified. I knew that my parents would not approve. And there was no way Ben would get their blessing. So, I told Ben not to bother asking them for it.

One Spring morning, Ben got down on one knee and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. And I said, "yes." I was immediately filled with dread because all I could think about was telling my parents. I faked a smile the entire time we were doing our engagement photo shoot.

That night, I stared at my cell phone for over an hour. My heart was racing when I finally worked up the courage to call home. My father answered.

"Hi dad, is mom around? I need to talk to you both."

"No, she's already gone to bed. What is it?"

"I'm engaged," I blurted out.

He paused and then quickly said, "we'll deal with the problem tomorrow," and he hung up.

I didn't hear from my parents the next day or the day after. Weeks went by, and there was only silence. No congratulations. No big announcements. And then one day my mom called me out of the blue and left a nasty voice message.

I was heartbroken. To my parents, my engagement felt like the ultimate betrayal. But I stuck by my decision and married my best friend. And today, my life is so much better because I found a love to last a lifetime and the freedom to think for myself.