76

~Chase~

I stay on the phone while staring at Amelia as she lays her head down on her pillow peacefully. My thoughts instantly go back to the beginning of the fall semester when I would cause her such trouble.

She was just someone that came to New York for her dreams, yet things like this happen. I am supposed to protect her and be there for her, yet, I can't because of my past decisions.

Sometimes I stare at her and wish I can turn back time to undo all the horrible things I've done and take back all the hurt I inflicted on her.

Maybe, just maybe, things would be different.

Especially with how she views me.

I'm currently on the phone line with my lawyer to see if there's any way he can be Amelia's lawyer as well. I haven't told Norman Flint anything yet because I need to make sure Amelia is protected first. I will also see if there's anything we can do about Jackson.

I know his father, Norman, will pull ties and do something to mess up her life. Since Alexander used to be my lawyer, I made sure to let him know as well.

I could hear Vinny shuffling paper in his hands through the phone. "We have to get more information on this Richard Miller guy first before we decided to take Jackson to court. If we can prove your innocence for Hannah Martin's disappearance then I'm most certain you and Amelia have a fair shot. But I have a lot of case work on me right now. I'll get you connected to Vanessa. She's a great lawyer."

"Thanks, Vinny. I'll get back to you with more information if I can."

Amelia stretches her arms out and yawns. "What time is it?" She moans while her arms wrap around me.

I place my phone down and kiss her on my forehead. "Twelve in the morning. Go back to sleep, baby."

"I can't." She mumbles. "I'm worried I ruined things for you."

"You didn't ruin anything; I did that myself. But I promise you I'll fix it and make sure he doesn't walk away free."

She grins as her eyes slowly close. At least that's what I thought, to my surprise she whispers, "Happy birthday."

I kiss her head and rub her arms. "Thank you baby."

That morning, I drive over to the building, where the club will be. I have to meet the architecture and interior designer so she can show me the finished copy of my blueprint.

I've only seen her twice, and both times I have seen her, I made it clear that I am only interested in the work of my business. She shown interest many times. I know I should've cut ties with her since it happened the first time, but she's really good at her job, she sees my vision, and I know I can keep it professional.

Maybe I should've went with Rachel, but I see her too many damn times.

I take my hands out of my pocket and look up from my phone once I hear her heels. "Hello, Stranger." She smiles at me with her bouncy curls flinging all over the place.

"Good morning, Mia."

She wiggles a lengthly tube of blueprints and layouts in her hand and gestures upstairs to my office. I shake my head and point to the only table on the first floor.

I catch her pout towards my response. She lays out the blueprint in front of me and leans over it to flatten it out. I moved from behind her and cleared my throat. Her red blouse shows too much cleavage. Her white pants hug her body.

I am not falling for any of it. I love Amelia. She will be my fiancé soon.

At this point I hope I'm not trying to convince myself.