He's A Great Spoon

Okay, so this is a scene from a novel that I was working on. I've given up on the story really. It was a cliche idea. I might keep this scene and change it up a bit. I might edit this more. This is an older piece.

This is a One Shot.

Enjoy! :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gillian Montgomery was leaning against the break room counter of Cozy Corner, the quaint little book shop she has been working at for several weeks. It was small and a bit dusty, but overall had a homey feel. The smell of coffee from the small cafe area and the smell of printed pages was just part of what drew people in. It was peaceful, you could buy or rent a book and sit in a cozy booth and just read. It was a break from the hustle and bustle of the city life just steps away and out the door.

The gentle chime of the door opening jerked Gillian from her daydream and she brushed a long strand of brown hair behind her ear and started to pick up her mocha when the words "Great Spoons" caught her attention. Had she read that correctly? She turned and looked at a spoon box on the counter. It read, in big blue letters, "Great Value, 48, spoons, great for everyday use." Gillian smiled and laughed; it amused her how if you took a quick glance you could misread things. She paused and out the break room door, just as her coworker and friend, Oliver Hallows passed by. He was carrying a stack of information books, one about cats on the top and she couldnt help but smirk at the irony. Oliver adored cats. Just the other day he had come into work wearing a cat sweater, complete with sound effects. Of course, she might have had something to do with his decision to wear that, but that was beside the point. Oliver's dark green eyes were focused on the stack and his tongue poked out the corner perfect pink lips. (She had spent a couple days studying his lips, perhaps his eyes too, to decide which adjective fit best, but that was beside the point as well.) His eyebrows furrowed together in concentration and he paused to quickly blow a chocolatey colored curl out of his eyes. She grinned, finding it hard to believe that in the beginning they had hated each other, not knowing what the other was really like. Working in the book shop everyday had brought them closer. They were almost best friends, the word friend a bit sour to say or think. Suddenly, a thought struck Gillian. People are like spoons. Well, in a metaphoric way. If you took a quick glance at people, you could misjudge them too. You mix people in a drawer like spoons. You pick one up , never really checking to see if you are picking up a plastic spoon or a metal. A fake person or a real one.

Gillian had been so lost in her discovery that she hadnt noticed the star of her many daydreams and the reason for these thoughts. Oliver snuck behind Gillian, a mischievous look in his emerald eyes. He leaned in close to her ear,"Whatcha thinking 'bout?"he whispered, tugging a strand of her brown locks.

Gillian jumped slightly,"how people are like spoons."she replied casually and gave him a cheeky smile before heading back into the shop. Oliver had a confused look on his face and then and there , she decided he was a great spoon.