Faithful

Long ago, a grand ship sailed upon the crystal clear seas of the tropics. They were blessed with strong winds and crystal clear skies. Because of this, the crew was brash. They set sail without giving proper tribute to Imi, goddess with dominion over water. All neglected tribute bar one. Cathius, a pious and superstitious sailor sacrificed an octopus he bought the morning of sailing in addition to the normal tribute. Hearing the insolence of the others, he felt it necessary. And lo, because of the hubris of the sailors, their blessing, their perfect weather turned foul before the sun dipped into Imi's domain. The clouds turned ebon. Streaks of lightning surged through the skies. The waters raged, foaming at the mouth and slamming into the ribs of the ship. The wood groaned in pain, trying desperately to hold firm against the towering waves, smashing like stones and sending the ship and crew keeling over. Imi dragged them into her icy depths.

Cathius awoke on a lonely island, waterlogged but miraculously unharmed. The island was small. Nothing but a platform of sand, with barely enough space to hold all the bloodied bodies of his crewmates. Cathius had no chance of escape. He could do little else but sit, and stare at the waters. The glimmering luster had returned to the waters once more, as had the skies which were equally as blue and beautiful. If one stared long enough, the two realms would seem to merge. Cathius sat there staring for three days and three nights having little idea of what to do or how to save himself. He had no clue where he was. Regardless, as his throat dried up in the gleaming sun and his vision blurred, he saw the beautiful ocean blend with the beautiful skies. As a sailor, he loved the open ocean. But here, staring at the horizon with nothing but the waters to keep him company, Cathius fell in love with the waters. A deep and burning love. He gave one last prayer to Imi, and plunged into darkness.

Seeing the devotion of this lowly sailor, Imi saw fit to appear before Cathius. The water Nymph-like goddess lapped gently at the shores, curiously circling the little island and the little sailor passed out on her shores. She inspected the man. Despite his brined face, he was quite handsome. A jaw like cut stone rising from the waters of his dark complexion and black hair. Imi roused him from his slumber. Deep green eyes like cut emeralds fluttered open.

Cathius awoke to Imi. Her fair skin sparkling and crystal clear like her waters, white hair flowing in cascading waves, crashing against her shoulders and pointed ears, eyes of the deepest blue shimmering despite being shadowed from the sun and piercing set against the muted colours of her skin and hair. She tilted her head curiously, Making the subtle gills on her neck flare out. She was undeniably beautiful, especially to a mortal. Imi decided to bless Cathius once more by sparing his life. She cupped her fair hands and water filled them. She spoke calmingly. "Drink deeply from my waters and let them soothe you." Cathius, who loved the ocean, was now staring at water itself. Desire washed over him. He drank the cool water, feeling it flow fervently through his frail body. He was saved.

Cathius threw himself to the ground in reverence. "Oh mighty Imi, I thank you for your holy water and I offer you all that I may give. But I beseech thee, let me taste your divine waters but once more, and I will submit myself wholly to your righteous will and be your humble servant."

Imi laughed and trickled her hand down the side of Cathius' face. "Humble mortal. Is your thirst not quenched?"

Cathius shook his head and lightly held Imi's calm hand. "How could it be when given a taste of such perfection? Any liquid but yours would be but ash in my mouth and make me thirst even more."

Imi smiled, flattered. "If that is so, then come and give yourself unto me." Imi led Cathius by the hand to the cool waters, gently cradling him. She dragged him deep into the water's depths as they welcomed him in a calming embrace. The flow tingled and nuzzled him. With a smile, Cathius relaxed, content with whatever would happen next. So long as he was in Imi's water he was happy. Seeing the man's devotion and hearing his previous honeyed words, Imi grew fond of this mortal in her domain. Soon, the two fell in love. For three days and three nights, they made love, ate the fruits of the ocean, and talked of many things. On the third night, they married under moonlight. But they soon parted. "I am sorry to flee so soon after our union my love, but the tides of fate draw me away from this mortal realm. I must tend to the waters in my own land. But look fondly for our return, as I will come with a way for you to follow me wherever I may go. And then we may never part."

"I am your husband. Your most devout worshiper and humble servant. I will wait for you till the sky sinks into your ocean and the universe draws its final breath." Imi's heart fluttered like a newborn jellyfish. In a torrent of thrashing waves, Imi brought Cathius to his hometown. Then with a kiss, she was gone. Enveloped and dispersed into the ocean waters.

Imi returned after one long year with an enchantment to let Cathius breathe and survive in any realm she might go. It had been a cold and lonely year. Imi ached for the embrace of her doting lover and surged down the main of his town to meet him immediately. But Cathius was not at his home. Imi searched the town, spreading out her waters. But still, she could not find her lover. Ever more desperate, Imi whipped up her waters and spread them out far and wide across the land, causing a terrible flood. She asked the mortals who were desperately boarding boats and climbing as high as they could, but none seemed to know where Cathius had gone. Then finally, upon the highest mountain in the land, in a small homely cabin made of stone, Imi found him. In bed with a mortal woman.

Imi's newborn jellyfish heart grew into a torrent of rage. The ocean turned black and she frothed at the mouth in pure, wrathful hatred. She crashed into the cabin, splintering it to pieces. Gripping Cathius in her fist, she screamed malicious curses of old at the mortal man trembling before her. Her wrathful gaze then set upon the pleading mortal woman. But then she gazed out at the land, now completely enveloped by her furious waves. No other deserved the full brunt of her wrath but Cathius. He did not deserve his punishment being diluted over all the mortals of the land, nor did the mortals deserve the godly smiting Cathius had evoked upon himself. No, he deserved worse. Carefully, she receded her waters, gently putting every mortal back in their place. Then with a wicked smile, she enchanted Cathius' lungs, and dragged him into the deep dark depths below.

Cathius awoke. A fish swam thoughtlessly by and he knew he was under water. He saw Imi clutching him forcefully and he knew he was going to die. He opened his mouth to beg and plead with Imi, but gasped for air. Water surged into his throat, fervently flowing into his lungs. He clawed at his throat in desperation, as if trying to pry the water out of him. Yet he did not drown. With a bone chilling grin, Imi left him there. Alone. Finally, he noticed what looked like the ocean outstretched in front of him. Yet he knew this could not be as he was utterly surrounded by water, sitting on a reef teeming with coral.

Cathius had no chance of escape. He could do little else but sit, and stare at the waters. The deep blue of the ocean seemed to swallow him whole, as did the sea of seas before him. If one stared long enough, the two realms would seem to merge. Cathius sat there staring for three days and three nights having little idea of what to do or how to save himself. He had no clue where he was. Regardless, his throat heaved against the water in vain attempts to stop the drowning sensation he felt. When his despair was greatest, Imi saw fit to appear before him.

Cathius threw himself to the ground in regret, choking while pleading with the mighty goddess. Her face was cold. The sea of seas became choppy and dark as Imi looked upon the mortal with contempt. With one forceful hand, she dragged Cathius into the very bottom of the mysterious waters. The waters enveloped him completely. Cathius went limp, accepting whatever would happen next. He was absorbed into the depths and was wholly subject to the will of Imi. She turned Cathius into a humble sacrifice. A choking Octopus. Imi absorbed Cathius, sprouting tentacles from her waist and doing away with her legs so that Cathius would forever serve penance by carrying her wherever she goes as her most humble servant.

From that moment on, any adulterer that dared to disgrace Imi's waters by trodding upon them will be dragged into her murky abyss without so much as disturbing the other sailors. Becoming hers. It is said she turns them into octopi and absorbs them, so that she may ride upon a chariot of gurgling, cheating sailors. Some may claim this a story made by partners of sailors to keep them honest. Even so, no sailor dares incur the great and terrible wrath of Imi, goddess of water and the sea of seas. No sailor dares be unfaithful.