chapter 1

[Current POV: Y/N - Location: Outside Convenience Store]

I crouched onto the curb of the sidewalk with a grocery bag in hand. The sidewalk was dimly lit by a nearby streetlight, seeing as it was pretty late in the night. Wait, how late was it? I looked down at my phone. '16% - 2:49 A.M.' Sighing, I turned off my phone soon after. It was too late to be out and about, but it's not like I had anywhere to take shelter. I didn't even have enough money to buy a hotel room that night. 

A feeling of numbness spread across my body. I was too tired to deal with trying to find somewhere to sleep the night. At the time, I was ready to just pull an all-nighter like I used to when studying. I opened my grocery bag and pulled out a bag of chips. The noise of me popping open the plastic bag was enough to have it echo down the street. Seeing as I made a loud enough noise to lead people directly to my spot, I thought it'd be best get out of that area and head out. I followed through with that plan and started walking down a dark alleyway.

 I would have usually been freaked out seeing all the gross things on the ground, especially when it's so dark and quiet out, but at this point I could care less. I walked through the alley, uninterested in everything around me until I reached a point where I saw an odd glow. This caught my attention and lead me to going in that direction. The closer I got, the warmer it felt around me. And once I turned the corner...

[Current POV: Garcello - Location: Alleyway]

A strange person peered around the corner of the building. They were staring at me...or my cigarette. I couldn't quite tell. 

"Do you need something?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. The stranger might have been caught off guard, because they flinched once I said that. They then shook their head and continued to walk past where I was standing.

I paid no attention to them after that, letting out another puff of smoke. I was almost through the cigarette I had in my hand before the same stranger came back to the area and towards me.

"Excuse me, sir. Could you hear me out for just a moment?" Confused yet intrigued by what this person was saying, I nodded to have them continue.

"Tonight has been...a rough night to say at the least. And, I know I must be asking a lot from a stranger in some alleyway, but I really need a place to sleep tonight. I promise I'll be in your debt if you could just lend some money for a hotel or let me sleep under your roof tonight. Just one night, and I'll be off your case." They explained to me.

Now, I'm not the most charitable person, but when someone's in dire need in front of me, that's something I can't decline.  Not to mention the desperate look in her eyes, which looked puffy and somewhat swollen. It would inhumane to refuse them.

"Fine. But you won't owe me anything after this, alright kid? I'm just trying to be nice here." I told the stranger, receiving a surprised nod in return. 

"Good, now follow me. It isn't a long walk, don't worry."

[Current POV: Y/N - Location: Outside Garcello's Apartment]

"Who lets random people into their houses? I thought things like this only happened in movies. I'm not judging this guy for letting me stay, I'm actually really grateful he did agree, and without any extra cost or IOU's either, it was a kind thing to do. But things like this is probably dangerous to do, so why let me stay and possibly murder you or something?" This is what my mind was running on and on about the whole trip to this man's apartment. I was barely even focused on the odd colored smoke leaving the man's mouth, just confused about useless topics.

Since I was spacing out again though, the guy had to snap me out of it again to get my attention and let me into his apartment. I couldn't lie, it was pretty untidy in there. A strong smell of smoke hit me walking in, causing me to let out a cough while I closed the door behind me. I was starting to think I might die in there from overnight second-hand smoking.

"You okay there?" The guy asked, watching me as I coughed again. I gave him a thumbs up, even though my constant coughing said otherwise. I think he started to realize what was happening, so he walked over to one of the windows and opened it to air out the place. 

"Sorry about that," he apologized, "I can still give you money for a hotel if staying here is too much."

"No, I'll be fine."  I didn't mention the fact it was 3am, soon to be 4, and I didn't think the hotel's would give out rooms this late at night.

"Whatever you say. The couch is right there, I'll get you some blankets and pillows for the night. If you need to go to the bathroom, it's in the door on the left. The door on the right is my bedroom." He explained, pointing at each object/room he was speaking about. I nodded along and thanked him for letting me stay before he went away to get the blankets.

By the time I got the blankets and got comfortable on the couch, the room only smelt faintly of cigarette smoke. My grocery bag was set down next to the couch along with the empty bag of chips. It wasn't the best place to stay, but it was better than sleeping on the streets without any warmth whatsoever. And as soon as my thoughts calmed down, I fell asleep in the stranger's apartment. I really lucked out that day, huh.