Letting people 'in'

8th June 2021

'Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people...' Acts 2:46

It was Pentecost and the people's reaction to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit was togetherness! They would meet together both in the temple courts and in each other's homes where they'd have meals and take communion. There was so much love being expressed between them and they were very much community focused.

This community spirit, having fellow believers over for meals and communion is modelled in these verses for us. Togetherness is an important aspect of Christianity today as much as it was at the time the book of Acts was written.

It is so important to be connected with other believers and to support one another where there is a specific need without judgement and without partiality.

Yes, we should be opening up our homes to each other and sharing what we have, not just food but actually it's about giving to others our time and our friendship too.

For me I have not been in a position to have other believers over since I became a Christian in 2015. The Lord has been taking me on a journey of discovery and healing that's included letting my walls down enough to let other people into my life and into my home.

There's a vulnerability about opening up our homes to people, our home is our safe space and if we have had a past where we have felt we aren't safe this is especially difficult to do.

It's taken six years but I finally feel I am ready to let other people into my life and my home so please don't feel under condemnation if you don't feel ready just yet.

'Lord, I want to be able to let other people in, into my life and into my home. Please help me to get to a position where I am able to do both, take me on a healing journey and work through with me any issues that are preventing me from doing this. In Jesus name, Amen.'

There will come a time when you also are ready to let people in, God will bring down those walls that you've built up high around your heart. It will be painful at times but He is such a gentleman and will always be right there with you supporting you and comforting you when it does get rocky. There is no healing without an element of pain, progression=discomfort but it's never more than we can cope with.

xx