Prologue

Hello my name is Kira Roman, I'll be twenty four years old very soon. I work at Carter Corp. its not my dream job. Not by a long shot. I never really figured out what I wanted to do so when I went to college. I got a degree in business and computer science. Everything is pretty much done on the computer now days. These degrees landed me a job at Carter Corp. My job consists of spread sheets and inputting data. My partner Matt Ortega is the graphic designer for my team, well when I say team I really just mean me and him, it's only the two of us. It's nice though. Matt does goof off every once and a while but he is damn good at his job. He's also my friend outside of work.I like working at Carter Corp. I really do but I've been working on something I would like to pitch to both my manager Gabriel Simons and department head Mark Leviels. Yearly reviews are coming up and I'm not sure if I want to pitch it before or after my review. I work my ass off at work and I even take some files home with me if I don't finish them by staying late. Sometimes I even go in early to finish a file. Yearly reviews are how Carter Corp. see's on whether or not persons work will grant them another year at the company, or that's how it's supposed to go anyway. The people who take part in these evaluations are the department head in my case that is Mark Leviels, The manager, in my case that is Gabriel Simons and the head of HR Cassidy Sparke. Cassidy Sparke she's a shrew and very well known as the office whore. Last year she tried to fire me twice and gave me a bad evaluation. It was too bad for her Mark and Gabriel didn't see it that way. I couldn't help but grin while I went back to my desk. She was even more horrible after that. She's also gone out of her way to get in the way of files and projects I get assigned. It got so bad I asked if I could work at home for two weeks. When I did I got five times more work done then I would have if I had gone into the office. This year I decided to work harder but I'm sure no amount of hard work on my part will make Cassidy back off of me. I honestly have no idea what her problem is with me. If she wasn't the office whore already I'd tell her to go get laid or something. The side projects I've been working on is a charity project. Carter Corp. does some galas and events for different charities. I have different files on different countries. There isn't just one project I want to pitch either. I have many different files each one contains a different project. I've done my research on how to execute these projects. The files I have will help get clean water and food to those who need it. I also have countries who were taken for fools by what I like to call shark corporations, these big name corporations promise big things, then take off once they have whatever they can possibly get and leave the country in economic ruin. I don't want to pitch this to Mark and Gabriel and then by some miracle Cassidy gets her way and gets me fired I don't want to be without anything to go to a different company. I'm starting to worry she might succeed in getting me out of Carter Corp. this time.To be honest if I no longer work at Carter Corp. I'll likely go home and work for my dad and grandfather at their company Roman Enterprises. It's something my dad has been trying to get me to do ever since I graduated college. Even though they understood where I was coming from when I said I wanted to be some place where I wouldn't get special treatment. My mother practically cut me off when I told her I was leaving. My grandmother and grandfather understood that I wanted to try and make it on my own before coming to work for them. That doesn't stop them from trying to get me to come back home though. I really miss them but I really like it here in New York and other than Cassidy I love my job. Especially since I know I can walk down the street and not be photographed. Yes that is a big problem in San Francisco the press there know my family really well and aren't above following us to a restaurant or as we walk down the street. It's the one of two down sides of being the granddaughter and daughter of a multi-billion dollar company. The other downside is that everyone wants to be your best friend. But I know some people well enough to know how fake they are. I grew up around rich people after all. They only talk to you and want to hang out with you as long as you have the money to back up your right to be in the same room with them. Those types of people will be the first to stab you in the back if or when they get the chance.As far as I know the only person at Carter Corp. that knows about my family and that I come from money is Collin Spencer. When he first met me he thought I was hiding something and did a background check on me and then dug into my family history. When he found out he told me he wouldn't tell anyone. So far he's kept that promise which is nice.I prefer my nice quiet life here in New York compared to back home where everyone is watching me and commenting on everything i do. Luxury is nice on occasion but I like my little apartment and the simple things are best for me. I don't like having to hide who i am just so the people watching me are satisfied. I'm sure someone somewhere understands that.