Prologue

Backstabber growled at her egg. It was different than the others, with yellow and orange hints, alongside the black. It was still speckled with stars, and that reassured her. But, it was still different. And Backstabber didn't really like different, she had some bad memories with different things.

like bronze. Backstabber thought. "No!" She hissed to herself. "No thinking of Bronze."

Backstabber paced around anxiously. It felt like hours, possibly days, until she heard cracking. She turned, and stared at the egg. Backstabber crouched down, examining the egg. There was several silver cracks running through it.

"Are the cracks supposed to be silver?" She wondered aloud. "I don't think so." Backstabber waited around for about thirty minutes.

"Just hatch already!" She growled, poking it. Backstabber felt no motherly instincts to protect or care for her child whatsoever. It was just a random accident that somehow made it's way into her life. Then the egg started to split open a tiny bit. A small little talon poked out. It was black, which somewhat made Backstabber feel more hopeful. maybe my dragonet will be normal. She thought. just maybe.The egg cracked fully open. A small little dragonet with intelligent black eyes stared at her. Backstabber growled.

Her child was a freak! He looked nothing like a Nightwing! He had a frill, barbed tail, and only some splotches of black. Backstabber grabbed him. "I'll name you Sandy." She hissed. "And that's the only thing I'll do with you." She grabbed her dragonet. Sandy squeaked, holding her talon. She wrenched them away, snarling.

"Don't touch me." The dragonet looked at her, and growled softly. it's all bronze's fault! i should have never met him! This dragon, her son,  was a freak. A hybrid. He would never be able to fit in. Not with her, or anyone else. He was an outcast. After hours of flying, when Backstabber's wings grew sore, she placed Sandy on the ground, in the middle of a forest.

"There. You live here. Survive. Or else. And don't except me to come back. I'm not. I hope that I never see you again. But I can tell you something, Sandy. Stay out of my way." And Backstabber turned away, leaving her son there, alone and helpless. He was in the wild, with no way out. Sandy, if he survived, it would be a miracle. Or if he found someone willing to help.

Backstabber flew for a while, heading home. She felt relieved and satisfied. Her dragonet was out of her way. Gone. She would never see him again. Yet something sparked in her heart. Just a small, small, small ember, a small thought in her mind, that she would see her son again. And she would. Oh, she definitely would. She better be ready, because Sandy was definitely not gone. And he wasn't gonna forget what his mother did to him.

Abandon him. Leave him stranded. Alone in the wild. And, Backstabber did not realize that her son wouldn't just return, but not be alone.

Word Count: 504 Words. (Not including this)

Hello, dear reader! Hope you enjoyed the Prologue of Sandy Falling. More will be coming soon, longer chapters, and a cover!