The Best Man Story

The Best Man Story

                       By

    Dane Edison Concepcion

The Wedding:

I never thought this time will come. I feel like my worst nightmare came to life. If I could run away from this thing I would but I can’t because… it was my best friend’s wedding. Staring at this bitch that will soon steal the beauty of life from Tony, I feel like I want to jump towards her and start a nuptial massacre. No offense to Karen but I just think that they were rushing too fast. I mean it’s just too fast and they will get married right away? What were they thinking? I don’t think that this is a good idea but who am I to stop this? I’m just his best friend. That’s it I settled as a friend when I could be on Karen’s shoes. I had a chance but I blew it off so why am I so affected? Why do I feel this way?

As I think for reason, I can’t help but look at Tony and how alive he looks as Karen take her final steps towards the isle. I look at him and I remember when he uses to look at me that way. I remember that time and I know that he only looks that way to a person if he considers that person as the only person who could make him happy. Tony, if I have had the guts to say something I would like you to know that I regret it all, I regret letting you go.  If I’ve gone mad, I would tell you but seeing how happy you are again, I couldn’t because I know that I took that happiness away from you years ago. And so even if it hurts, I would definitely wear this mask. I will try to be happy for you. I will be there for you on this day because I owe it to you.

I was watching my best friend get married as I think of these things. I guess I just could not believe that I was not the bride walking down that isle because everyone thought it would be me even I thought that I would be the one walking that isle. I guess we got it all wrong. Because I’m just one of the people watching Tony get married, I got into reminiscing as to how I got into this moment. How did we end up this way? As I think for a reason, I came to think of the past and a flash back came to me….

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE HISTORY

For a rose will always be a rose no matter what name you call it.

-William Shakespeare-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam POV:

It’s funny when people thought that a thing will really happen but they end up surprise because it did not. I know the feeling of expectation. I also know the feeling when it was not met. If you expected for a thing but it was not given, you can get hurt and if you were, you ought to move on. But when the expectation is of love and you waited for so long but in the end it was nothing, what will you do? If things were very well thought of from the very start, will you expect to end up with nothing?

Probably not, because most people believe that you only lose when you give up.

I don’t consider what I did as giving up. If you think that this is a tragic love story then I should tell you that you were wrongly informed. This story is not of that kind. It is not even a classic girl meets boy story. This is a story of people and how they thought they’ve known each other for so long. This is an account of people and how they realized that knowing a person is not always a gift of time. Sometimes you should set aside time and have a heart that is willing to listen, a heart that could touch another life, a heart that has the courage to really know a stranger or a friend as a person apart from that person you thought them to be.