Chapter 1

Sometimes when everything seems at
it's worst
when all conspires
and gnaws
and the hours, days, weeks
years
seem wasted-
stretched there upon my bed
in the dark
looking upward at the ceiling
I get what many will consider an
obnoxious thought:
it's still nice to be

River

" You're doing it again. "

The smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies field my nose, as I placed my gaze onto my father.

" Doing what?, Benjamin. "

His eyes lingered until they no longer felt the need to, returning back to scrabble.

" it's quarter to eight birdy shouldn't you be..I don't know having a mental breakdown over algebra or something right now? " he asked, muttering as his dark colored Oakley glasses rest at the edge of his nose.

" Well if you must know Benjamin, it's summertime. Meaning less dreadfully boring math problems, and more cozy night's binging ghost adventures. " I stated, before popping a French onion sun chip in my mouth.

Oh how I love Zak Bagans

" Stop calling me by my government name, I'm your father. You think daughters just go around calling their fathers by their government names?, besides you're just doing it to distract me. " He rants, while I slightly laugh.

" I am not. "

" Tomorrow's the big day, you think you're ready?" He asked.

" Dad it's not some big event, I'm not getting married for god sakes. It's just therapy. "

" Just therapy? "

" Just therapy. " I stated.

" Well in that case since you're not busy spiraling off the walls, you could do the dishes. " he stated, with a slight smirk. I knew he would try this shit

" Hey!, No way we have a schedule Sir. You're on dish duty Thursday's and Friday's , don't act like you don't know. " I loudly exclaimed, now taking my gaze off the game.

" Too bad big mouth. I won the game fair and square, you stated before the shit even started that we were playing for the get out of jail free card- "

" I lied. " I said, before folding my arms giving him a deathly stare.

" Well I'm the boss in this household- "

" Are you? are you really?- "

" Birdy. " he stated in a warning tone.

" Oh!, you're trying to intimidate me with your father tone now are ya?. " I stated. Folding my arms across my chest.

He starred at me with a look of wonder.

" Jenny, you're so much like Jenny. "

He stated.

Which made me smile.

" You don't know when to shut the fuck up, and your head is ginormous like he- "

" Dad!. " I Exclaim, before punching him in the arm.

" Ow!, see you're violent like her too. I should've seen the signs man. "

Removing my legs from under I our small coffee table, I make my way towards the kitchen.

" Oh, so you're giving up now? That's a first. "

I lean against the counter, before turning towards him. " Sorry Benjamin, most of us have things to do tomorrow. We gotta change the world, fly into outer space, find a cure for cancer. We don't have time to argue with teenage girls. " I smirk.

" Yeah, tell that to the firefighter. "

Grabbing an open bag of barbecue chips while walking towards me he pops one into his mouth, before setting them down onto the dining room table.

" What? cat got your tongue?. " I exclaim proudly, arms folded across my chest.

" Wow, so many dishes to dish out. Just do me a favor and make sure the ones that matter are spotless. Your place in this household depends on it. " He states, before strutting away.

" You as-

" Watch it!. "