The Polar Principle

A/N: This is just a short story that I made since the story sort of conjured in my head. I hope you like it.

----------------------------------------------

From the looks of it, our classroom had witnessed and heard so much in the years it housed academic affairs. If it had a mouth, it would have talked more wisdom that any person who occupied it for three hours a week.

And right now, it was witnessing yet another.

It was Philosophy class, a session spent not on finding answers but formulating more questions from them, testing conventions, breaking norms, and contemplating things that never have been tapped on by laypeople. Today, our topic was about love. And my classmates listened almost fervently, because frankly, aside from sex and celebrity bullshit, this topic was something that bound us youth together.

In the unusual anticipatory ambience of the room, our professor smiled. "Who are you people and what have you done to my students?" he teased.

The class laughed.

Professor checked the attendance and once again laughed at having found out that no one had skipped today's session. I held back my own guffaw with a solemn shake of my head. I have to admit I had expected this.

"So... what is it about love that makes students so attentive?" Professor joked. I had the same question in mind.

Professor cleared his throat. "Okay, to start this seemingly interesting discussion--I see the looks on your faces--we'll start with the most obviously basic question: What... is love?"

The class was quiet; we were in a state of contemplation in a class we took seriously for the very first time. One raised his hand, "Uh... love is a give and take."

"Yieeee..." The class made cheers and catcalls.

Professor, still smiling, remarked his usual philosophical inquiry, "Hmm.. 'Love is a give and take'? How can you explain unrequited love then? I believe it's the very aspect that relates the most to you people."

"Ehem..." some students teased, having been struck to the bone.

Another raised her hand, "Uh.. Love is.. sacrifice?"

"I see someone who is fond of martyrdom," said Professor. The class laughed. "Or perhaps, masochism. Anyone else?"

Another volunteered, "Love is devoting time to someone."

"I am devoting time to you right now. Do you think I love you?" Professor asked with a smirk. The class laughed again.

"N-no," the student replied shyly.

Awkward silence followed. Professor took the chance to speak, "Well, I can see where this is going. You know, love has many more aspects, but your definitions all lead to one--which is romantic love. I am not surprised by this. You are youth, and therefore your concept of love is limited to that of which gives you an attraction to the opposite sex. So, for the sake of the discussion, we will narrow down from love in general to romantic love." He scanned through the room. "Now, any more bright ideas?"

"Ooh, me!" a girl raised her hand a bit too enthusiastically. Perhaps she had been thinking this whole time, since this was the first instance she spoke. But I do not know what the enthusiasm is for.

"Excited, are we? I suppose you're very much attached to this topic," Professor told her.

She ignored that. "Love is the natural pull of opposites. You know, just like the magnet."

I cringed. Somehow that magnet thingy touched a nerve. But I was too shy to speak.

"Hmm... only the opposites?" Professor said.