How I Spent my Weekend

By Mickey MacMurphy (unfinished first draft)

I met a beautiful succubus last Friday night at the bar closest to the new house I had just moved to after accepting a job in a nearby city. Of course, I didn't know she was a succubus at the time, I only found out much later about that part. At the time, I had just assumed her to be nothing more than a gorgeous local gal and set out to spend my evening getting drunk and trying to seduce her.

And to my surprise, although I didn't question it at the time, drunk me chalking it up to be charming while drunk, she was surprisingly willing to go along with my eager seduction attempt. But to my surprise, at some point, we started talking and instead of taking her home to bang her brains out, we wound up grabbing a bottle to swig from and stayed up all night strolling hand in hand along the river-bank trails. Then went for 24-hr pizza at 5 am just as the sun was poking his tender rays into our bloodshot eyes. Then she wrote her email on a pizza napkin and was gone before I came back from the john.

When I finally woke up, nearly twelve hours later, I must've layed in bed for a good hour, just thinking about her and grinning a stupid grin. I thought about emailing her right then, but didn't want to seem too eager. I didn't realize it at the time, but that was part of her magic as a succubus, putting the obsessional thought of her in my head. But part of it was just honest to goodness old fashioned love, but having never been in love before, I didn't recognize it yet for what it was. And strangely for a succubus sent to Earth from Hell for the sole purpose of seducing lonely mortals into signing away their souls, things most didn't even believe in, she was thinking of me too. And not in the "plotting to steal my soul" kind of way she normally would've been. Because just like me, she had never been in love before, and just like me, hadn't recognized it for what it was.

I was picking up my phone to snipe away at an eventual email to her, all the while pondering how to not sound too eager, when it lit up with a text from a number I didn't recognize, but immediately knew was her. A little shiver went through me, causing all those little hairs to stand up on end.

She wanted me to meet her at the 24 hr pizza joint we had been at early, so early that morning. I did want to see her, there was a her-shaped hole in my life that I hadn't known was there, or even had yet consciously realized. But I was very surprised she wanted to see me again so soon. I was staring at my phone, trying to think up something witty and clever to text back when she called.

I stared at the number as my phone rang and rang, absolutely loathing talking on the phone, but strangely, really wanting to hear her voice. So against a sudden but fleeting misgiving, I hit answer.