[Chapter 1]

I slumped over to my mirror. Although I had spent over a hour getting ready, I still sighed at my appearance. I had worn everything a normal seventeen-year-old girl would to their first day at a new school--cuffed boyfriend jeans, a grey sweater, and normal white converse. But it was as if nothing fit right on me. The cuffs at the bottom of my jeans revealed too much of my boney ankles.

I should have gotten the high-tops.

My hair was a mess. Since sleeping in braids didn't make my hair wavy, I had pulled out my curling iron. In an attempt to make effortless-looking ringlets at the tips of my caramel hair, all I had managed to do was kink my hair and burn my shoulder. The day was way too hot for a sweater, but the tank-top I had planned on wearing exposed the red and white patch of skin where I had dropped the curling iron.

"Evelyn! Hurry up! You're going to be late!" My mother yelled at me from downstairs.

I pulled my hair into a pony-tail while grabbing my sling bag and keys.

The sound of my little sister Veronica flooded the kitchen as I walked in to kiss my parents goodbye.

"Evie!" Veronica and my dad exclaimed in unison. My mom was the only one who still called me by my real name, since Evie stuck with Veronica all these years.

"Hey everyone." I said, after a slight chuckle.

I tore off a piece of granola bar before announcing that I had to go before I was late and kissing everyone goodbye.

The roaring engine of my gleaming silver pickup-truck must have woken up everyone in the neighborhood. Dad hadn't taken the fact that not everyone wakes up as early as we do into consideration when he bought me this car.

When the school came into perspective, my muscles started to tense up and I also started to breathe faster. I took a deep, slow breath before sliding out of my truck.

I sludged down the hall and stopped in front of the room I believed to be my homeroom. I double-checked my schedule and slowly gripped the doorknob.

To my surprise, the room was full with computers. Instantly, about 13 or so faces looked up from their cell phones. I scanned the room for a teacher, but everyone I had spotted looked about my age.

"Hey! I'm your homeroom teacher Ms.Crawrey, but you an just call me Jen. What's your name?"

Fresh out of college.

"I...uh...I'm Evelyn Matters. I'm new here." I stuttered.

"Makes two of us." She smiled, half heartedly.

I took a seat next to a dark, tall guy who could be easily mistaken for an Abercrombie model if it weren't for his frizzy hair.

Trying not to draw attention about myself, I did exactly what everyone else was and unlocked my phone.

7:03 Monday, September 8.

Looking over his shoulder, I saw that the boy was texting on a group chat labeled Homeroom. Almost as if on cue, a funny picture of a girl from across the room appeared and everyone laughed--but me of course.

Not knowing what to do, I checked my only source of social media-Twitter. I wasn't the 'Instagram Artsy-Pic' type, but I liked to keep up with my favorite actors and authors.

Just as the bell rang, a sigh of relief flowed over me, knowing I wouldn't have to sit in silence any longer.

******

At lunch, I did the only logical thing and went to the library, since I hadn't made any friends yet.

There was only one other person in the room besides me. Just my luck that it was not a girl. Ignoring his presence, I sat down at the other end of the table.

"Hey Evelyn." He said about as nonchalantly as possible.

I looked up to observe this new stranger. He had messy blonde hair and large dimples that practically melted me as he smiled in my direction.

Who is this? How does he know my name?

"Do I know you?" I questioned.

"No, but I know you. Everyone knows you."