Chapter 1

As I walk into my dorm room for the first time my roommate doesn't seem to like me that much. I shake it off and continue through my first classes. As a kid who was an orphan her whole life this school was my only chance to succeed and yet I didn't know if I was truly happy or not to be free from the foster care system. Even though it isn't the greatest at least I had some protection, and now I do not know what to think. My first few classes were difficult but nothing too horrible. I went back to my dorm room to study and my roommate was blaring music.

"Hey I'm Delilah," I offer her my hand but she just turns and glares. I take my hand back assuming she doesn't want to shake it. "I'm not trying to bother you but I was just wondering if there is any way you could turn down the music so I can study?"

"So you're one of those girls." The girl in my room spoke so coldly and ignored my request by turning it up even louder.

I grabbed my books and my money and set off for the closest coffee shop there was. I sat down to read but just couldn't concentrate. As a college student I usually do not carry around a lot of money usually five dollars max because you never know when someone will steal from you. I got in the coffee line with my five dollar bill and waited for my turn. "Could I get a small vanilla bean coffee please?"

The man at the register typed into his cool keypad and the total rang up as six dollars. I was a dollar short.

"Um, nevermind I decided against coffee today." The man looks annoyed as I look at my five dollar bill and do the walk of shame back to my table.

"Here," I heard a voice behind me handing me a medium vanilla bean coffee. The boy had dark brown hair that was swooped over to the right side. He had green eyes, and his smile was bright and contagious. He wore a gray hoodie and black sweatpants. "It seemed like you needed this."

I chuckled, "Do I look like that much of a disaster?"

"Not at all, but seemed like you may need a friend around here. My name is Liam." Liam I thought. The edgy looking boy in sweats name is Liam.

"Delilah." I replied sticking my hand out to shake his hand. This time the favor was returned. He smiled at me.

"Are you from around here? It is a pretty small town and I have never seen you around here before." Liam just gave me the answer I was asking myself all day and that is am I the only person who would choose this college from out of state.

"No, I just went to school here and before you ask no this was not my first choice but this is what I had to do so I can really start my life. I grew up in foster care and never had someone who wanted me permanently because of how old I was when I was put in."

"Oh, I'm sorry that must suck. I never was in foster care but I have been trapped here my whole life." He gave a half smile. He said stuck. Did his family not have enough money to go anywhere else? Liam scribbled down something on a piece of paper. "Hey, I have to get going but here's my number don't hesitate to reach out." I grabbed the piece of paper and Liam was gone.

I smiled at the small piece of paper in my hand and put it in my contacts. I walked back to my dorm room to find my roommate going through all of my things. I watch as she takes a few dollars from some of my hiding spots. "Excuse me." She jumps up and turns my way.

  "Oh, you're back. I was looking for one of my earrings that I dropped." I looked at her in utter disbelief that she was trying to steal from me and was lying. I couldn't trust this girl. I had enough money to get me through and if she keeps taking it I won't be able to survive. I walked over and grabbed the money out of her hand that she had taken.