Chapter 1

John Goodspeed, Head of the Goodspeed family and Captain of the Infinity Knights under the emperor's name died in war. His best friend, Jack, who was the next heir to the throne, took pity upon his beloved partner and child who were left behind after his death.
Captain John had come from a commoner family known as Goodspeed, however during his training as a knight under Captain Ergon's name he had brought honour to his family name. Sadly, the only survivors of this name is Gary Goodspeed, his son, and Sheryl Goodspeed, a woman whom he fell in love him but never got to marry- she took his name after his death.

Since the Goodspeed child had been born before their marriage, he had grown to be known as the "Goodspeed's bastard child" and his mother had come to be known as a prostitute the Emperor Jack was keeping in a separate, smaller palace.
Lucky for Sheryl, she was a smart and wicked woman, who was willing to give anything up to survive...and now she had gotten the taste of having nobility and thus grew greedy in wanting more, so it wasn't hard for her to rise to the top as the new Goodspeed Duchess while shamelessly leaving her son behind.

The boy, who had inherited his mother's beauty and gold like hair, had few maids that were controlled by his mother- the only one who wasn't under Sheryl's control was his nanny who used to be his father's Captain and pledged her life into protecting young Goodspeed.

"Good morning, young Master" Miss Ergon greeted, she was taller than most ladies and her shoulders were broad from welding longswords in the past, unlike other noble ladies- she did not wear a dress but instead wore a uniform.

"Good morning Nanny!" The small blond boy greeted with a smile, seeming not to be afraid of the woman. The first time he saw her he had been nervous and cried from how scary she seemed but the boy had long gotten used to her strict glares.

Miss Ergon squinted her eyes at the small boy, he was weak and frail, far too small for and skinny for his age but that didn't seem to be the thing bothering her.

"Lately young Master had been having good etiquette" she pointed out with suspicion

"Oh! I-I've been practicing in secret!" Gary said a bit nervously

"You no longer speak in third-person either" she pointed out again

"G-Gary has been practicing!" The boy insisted

With a long stare and hum, the nanny expected her young Master again before sighing as it seemed to her that the boy was telling the truth.

"You said you'd like to speak to me?" She asked finally, noticing how Gary looked around at the maids in his room awkwardly "You two- please prepare tea for me and young Master then leave us be" she ordered, she might be a nanny but she was still an Ergon.

"Yes Miss!" The only two maids nodded quickly and rushed out to do their given tasks with a hurry.

"Thank you" Gary sighed, sitting down at the small coffee table and allowing his nanny to sit as well. The chairs were a bit uncomfortable, firm and low quality- most things in the boy's room was low quality, his mother not wanting to waste too much money on her son but not wishing to make it appear as if she did not care for him.

"What seems to be so important that you must have maids leave, young Master?" His nanny questioned. She took great instrest in watching the boys reaction, noticing how the child seemed to be choosing his words with great care

"I want to surprise mother" he said with a smile that the nanny had yet to get used to. Before Gary would smile widely, he'd sit with his legs crossed despite being on a chair and would often not pay attention to conversations but right now... the boy seemed to have grown polite overnight

"May I ask what with?" Miss Ergon asked, she did not believe what her young Master had said- he had taken far too long in choosing his words, however...she did want to hear the end of this.

Sadly, their conversation was cut off by the maids bringing in the tea. They carefully set up the tea in front of each of them, however they did not serve biscuits or any other treats...something Miss Ergon had taken note of long ago which she had found strange, since Gary seemed to have quite the sweet tooth

"Maybe it's a diet?" She thought to herself, wondering if her young Master had a risk of diabetes.

She watched the boy put in four spoonfuls of sugar and quietly stir his tea, the maids stood patiently behind him.

"I believe I had asked you two to leave us be" Miss Ergon said with venom, noticing how the maids had not yet left despite orders "I'd like to speak to young Master alone"

"Ah! Yes Miss Ergon!" A maid bowed quickly with fear and hurried out

"Of course! Excuse us" the other followed right after, closing the door behind her to allow the two to have some peace.

"Now...where were we?" His nanny took in the scent of the tea "you wanted to surprise your mother?" She reminded them both, recalling how her Master had used to call Duchess Goodspeed "mom" not long ago.

"Yes, that is corr-- right" Gary nodded

"How so?" Miss Ergon sipped on her tea despite being hot

"I'd like to get a tutor" he said with an innocent smile "I think mother would be quite proud of me then"

How sad, a small child constantly looking for his mother's approval and love- not even Miss Ergon was like that with her kids... she couldn't help but pity her young Master.

"If I remember correctly you had no intrest in such things, young master" Miss Ergon lifted her brow as she set her tea down on her lap "What kind of change of heart have you had recently?"

"Mmmm" her Master hummed in thought, finger poking his cheek in thought "I guess I had a dream"

"A dream?"

"A dream"

"What kind? For it to get our anxious and lazy young Master to study..." his nanny asked

"A dream where I...didn't get a happy ending" he said with a smile but his voice sounded rather dark, a tone of voice Miss Ergon had not ever heard in her young Master's voice.

"So...Will you help me, nanny Ergon?" Gary asked after noticing how his nanny had been quite surprised by what had been said earlier

"What kind of things would you like to learn, young Master?" She finally was brought back to her senses, drinking her tea peacefully "I assume you had some thought already?"

The small boy chugged down the tea, his small legs swinging happily as things seemed to be going his way- somehow, he knew Miss Ergon would not refuse and would even go her way to get him good tutors even against Sheryl Goodspeed's word.

"I want to learn everything needed to be a noble as well as swords" he grinned happily "but I will only do it on one condition, nanny"

"One condition?" Miss Ergon repeated surprised, this child was the one asking a favour of her yet he is acting as if he knows he is doing a favour for her.

"I will choose my own tutors"