00. Prologue

How I got to this point is a very long story, so I will try to be brief. Mum had always been obsessed with the idea of me finding the perfect husband, a perfect family and I had been far from satisfactory. My love life consisted of screw up after screw up and the amount of times I've been cheated on cannot be counted on one hand.

Sometimes, during the darkest hours of the night, I wonder if it's my fault. If the reason that I'm alone and constantly cheated on is because I am too independent, or too much for them to handle. I'm a successful lawyer, have a beautiful apartment in central London, and surprisingly have a good understanding of what I want in life. Apparently this scares men, or so my mother tells me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mother, chaotic as she may be, but I do not need the constant interference in my life, especially when it comes to love and relationship. I'm a 35 year old woman and I am far from needing my mother to take care of me, yet here I am, suitcase in hand ready to board a plane to Bora Bora. My mum, without my knowledge or consent had signed me up for this season of the bachelor.

Her letter had apparently been so touching that the producers decided to invite me straight away. I'm guessing I'm only invited to get some good television and to make me the laughing stock of the bunch. This entire idea, once my mother and the producers of the bachelor finally got in touch, did not go down gently. I was practically coerced into it and I decided this would be the perfect opportunity for a vacation after lots of complaining and shouting on both sides. This entire trip would be nothing more than a paid vacation, for however short it would last.

I was absolutely certain I would be sent home the first day, but I had decided to take a month off in any case and spent my time on the island reading all of the books I hadn't had time for this year. The reason why I eventually agreed was my mother's promise that she will leave my love life alone if I were to participate and this finally pushed me over the edge.

Now I only had mere hours before I met the infamous bachelor, Tom Hiddleston.