Chapter 02 : Dorm

Taehyun remained motionless, blinking a few times as he took in the figure before him, scrutinizing him from head to toe.

"Are you single?"

Soobin and Hueningkai burst into laughter at Taehyun's unexpected question, while the raven-haired guy chuckled softly.

"Unfortunately, I have a boyfriend."

Taehyun nodded, silently mouthing an "oh."

"Ouch," Hueningkai teased, with Soobin joining in with hearty laughter. Taehyun shot them a fierce glare, prompting the two to quickly stifle their giggles and pretend to focus on their food. Clicking his tongue in annoyance, Taehyun turned his attention back to the raven-haired guy.

"What's your name?"

"Park Jisung."

Taehyun nodded again. "You're looking for class A-3, right?"

Jisung confirmed with a nod.

"You're in the same class as Soobin hyung," he said, pointing at Soobin, who was busy devouring his meal. The bunny-like boy looked utterly bewildered, his cheeks stuffed with bread as he glanced up at Taehyun, who was casually scrolling through his phone.

"What?" Soobin mumbled through a mouthful, completely oblivious. Crumbs fell onto his shirt, prompting Hueningkai to squeal in disgust.

"Ew! Hyung, chew before you talk!" he exclaimed. Soobin frowned, hastily swallowing his food in one big gulp before turning his attention to the awkwardly standing Jisung, who was trying to maintain a polite smile.

"Let's go," Soobin said, grabbing the rest of his bread from the table and heading out. Jisung scratched his head in confusion but followed him. Hueningkai giggled at Soobin's antics.

"Soobin hyung is so cute," he remarked.

Taehyun shifted his gaze from his phone to Hueningkai, who was still watching Soobin disappear from view.

"I can't stand people in love."

"You'll find yours soon," Hueningkai replied dryly.

Taehyun rolled his eyes. Hueningkai scrunched up his nose playfully. True to form, Taehyun had never believed in love—not even once. Whenever he watched movies where the heroine fell for a stranger, he would scoff and often distract himself from the screen. To him, it all seemed ridiculous.

"Why did she fall in love with him?"

"Oh, come on! Really?!"

"It's a stranger!!"

"Bitch, I'm not watching this kind of crap again."

"Yep, he's an asshole."

Every time he sat through a cliché romance film, these were the words that slipped from his lips. Why do two complete strangers fall in love? Is that really how it works? Do things like that happen in real life? Taehyun didn't have the answers, and honestly, he didn't care. He had never truly embraced the idea of love.

In stark contrast, his best friends Hueningkai and Soobin were hopeless romantics. The two would snuggle up together, binge-watching movies and dramas in their dorm, while Taehyun often found himself as the perpetual third wheel. Both Hueningkai and Soobin believed in true love and love at first sight. But Taehyun? He was perfectly fine being single. At least, that's what he kept telling himself.

"I'm heading back to class. Are you coming?"

"Which class do you have next?"

"Biology."

Hueningkai pouted. "I have art next."

Taehyun sighed. Although Hueningkai was a science major like him, he had dropped Chemistry out of disdain and switched to art. It looked like Taehyun would be on his own for the next three periods of Biology. He made his way to his locker, grabbed his Biology book, and headed to the lab. Upon entering, he was met with the sight of his classmates joking around and causing chaos. Taehyun rubbed his temples.

"This is going to be exhausting," he muttered, making his way to his seat at the back. A few minutes later, the lecturer arrived, and the class began.

.

"Are you certain this is the right place, hyung?" the raven-haired boy asked, glancing at the scarlet-haired guy beside him. Yeonjun nodded confidently.

"I'm sure, Beom."

Yeonjun shot Beomgyu a proud look as Beomgyu continued to scrutinize the building in front of them. They stepped inside, taking in their surroundings until a woman approached them.

"Are you two the new students expected today?" she asked politely. Beomgyu flinched at her voice and instinctively took a step back when she got too close.

"Yes, I'm Choi Yeonjun, and this is Choi Beomgyu," Yeonjun replied. The woman paused, studying them with a curious expression.

"You both have striking eyes," she remarked. Yeonjun cautiously glanced at Beomgyu, who was silently mouthing, "Don't look at me; I have no idea."

"Haha, we're just wearing contacts," Beomgyu said, his heart racing. The woman seemed to accept the explanation and nodded before handing them two different keys.

"Choi Yeonjun, your room is 139, and Choi Beomgyu, yours is 133."

"Wait—aren't we supposed to share a room?" Beomgyu asked, surprised. She nodded.

"Why not?"

"There are no available rooms, so you two will need to stay with students who don't have roommates."

"But—" Beomgyu started to protest, but Yeonjun nudged him away from the woman.

"Thank you very much. We'll be on our way now," Yeonjun said quickly. Once they were at a safe distance, Beomgyu shot a frustrated look at his brother.

"What the hell?"

"Just let it go, Beomgyu. Besides, this is your chance to learn more about humans. You've never left Weolhwa, not even once," Yeonjun replied.

Beomgyu groaned in annoyance. That was typical of him—he hated both physical and verbal interactions. In Weolhwa, he usually stayed holed up in his room, occasionally practicing martial arts in the dungeon to hone his combat skills and weaponry. And now he had to live with a regular human and learn about them? What a hassle.

"Why do I need to learn about humans? We're not here to kill anyone, Yeonjun."

Yeonjun flicked him on the forehead, causing him to wince. Rubbing the sore spot, Beomgyu glared at him.

"That's hyung to you. Even if we're not killing anyone, we can still refine our disguise by understanding them. You packed enough blood packs, right?"

Beomgyu nodded, pouting slightly. Yeonjun chuckled, ruffling Beomgyu's black hair with a warm smile.

"If you're craving human blood, come to me, okay? Don't go drinking from any humans. I don't want you hunted by vampire hunters."

Beomgyu nodded. In this modern world, if vampires existed, then vampire hunters did too. Back in Weolhwa, they often received reports of dead vampires—beheaded or staked—those who had been caught by hunters while wandering in the human realm. Yeonjun feared that if Beomgyu were caught, he would lose his only remaining family member.

"Promise me you won't drink from a human."

"I promise, hyung. I won't."

Yeonjun smiled. "Good."