Chapter 1: Sister Sister

Kenesai

Kartier will you shut the fuck up!" I hissed at my seventeen-year-old twin sister. Hey girl, it's me Kenesai and right now my black ass is hiding behind some bushes trying to sneak into  Club Tunnel. The most popping joint in Chicago right now.  " Kenesaiiii I'm getting dirt in Momma's heels. She gonna kill usssss." She continued to whine from behind me. Ugh, why did she have to be such a fucking baby all the time? I get that we were fraternal twins and everything but that whining shit completely missed every bone in my body. I rolled my eyes towards the entrance of the club and noticed everyone was starting to crowd in. High-roll cars zoomed into the lot while fresh-to-death customers stepped out. I squealed in excitement at the thought of me finally being inside.  We were about to turn eighteen this weekend and there was nothing our mother could do about it. We were grown, well I was grown. Kartier was still working on it.  I adjusted the padding in Ma's tight-knitted Gucci mini dress with gold lining at the bottom and rhinestone heels to match. We couldn't afford our own skanky clothes so our mother's clothes would have to do for now. I couldn't miss this opportunity to audition.  I grabbed her hand getting ready to make a move on the incoming line that was getting disorganized. The heels were one size too big so it made it obvious that they weren't mine. If Ma had been actually taking care of us instead of bringing home a man every night to replace our dad I'm pretty sure we wouldn't even have made it this far down the line of disappointment. But this is what both of us witnessed in our childhood. Yeah... my mother had us physically, but she had the nightlife first. And the money she was used to making before getting pregnant wasn't even touching to make ends meet. Her body grew out of shape from drinking and smoking all day. The same woman our daddy loved so much caused him to beat her because he was tired of her reckless ways. I remember the day she tried to leave him with us in tow, Daddy came bursting into the room swinging and cursing. I watched my mother get her head busted against a dining room table, I watched her get choked until her veins bulged. Kartier witnessed everything too but I don't think it phased her into acting out buck wild as I did. I promised myself I would never let a man beat me the way she got her ass beat. That was a sign of weakness, the raggedy bitch.  I was my sister's keeper and it was always going to stay that way because nobody had our best interest. Not even our parents.

Out of nowhere, my heels caught the back of someone's foot causing me to smash face-first into the sidewalk. My fucking nose! Blood dripped from my nostril and onto my dress. Shit! I scrambled to my feet just in time to catch a female with the nicest red pencil skirt dress I have ever seen a thick woman slide into. She held a rhinestone purse similar to the shoes I was wearing. Hmm, nice taste. I thought to myself. I was definitely on the right track into the high-class world of fashion. She pointed at both of us and laughed. " Babydoll you don't look like you or your twin bird belong here." Red Dress stated boldly. Nicest dress my ass! I take that compliment back. Kartier stepped in front of me, her heels clicking out of unison. My fists were balled up and my blood was boiling. Let's get this straight right now aight? I was young but I ain't no bitch. No sir, I wasn't raised that way. I pushed my sister aside almost making her fall. I didn't care.. who did this bitch think she was? " Bitch, I'm muthafucking Kenesai Washington!" I stated proudly and tried walking past security. They wasted no time in shoving me back into the outside of the club making my ankles bend all types of ways in these heels. "Two hundred and fifty." The one big belly security exclaimed with his hand out. The rest of the line broke their neck to look at us. I could feel Red Dress staring at the back of my shoes. He was huffing and puffing like he had just finished running from the cops. EW. I made a mental note to stay away from fat niggas. Always sweating for no reason, arms smelling like stale Fritos, Oh and don't forget they can never see what they working with down there. The price almost made my jaw drop but I quickly faked a shocking look. I surely didn't have that kind of money because I couldn't work yet and my father barely gave us the correct allowance a teenager should get. You tell me how long it would take to stack up two hundred and fifty dollars in five-dollar bills every other week or sometimes none. FatBelly stated the admission fee again louder this time clearly trying to embarrass us . I sucked my teeth and walked away. Red Dress was cackling for sure by now. With all this going on I completely forgot about Kartier's baby ass.  I was mad as hell and the way I was wobbling away made it even worse. Fuck! Tonight was supposed to be my night, I'm tired of living like a bum bitch. I sighed stressfully while sitting down on the parking lot curb. "Can we go home now? My feet hurt." This girl was working my last nerve . I threw my hands up and pushed her. " Aint you tired of living like this girl! Look at us!" She glanced down at her outfit and frowned. Man I dont know how she could be comfortable when we dont have shit that belongs to us. Kartier stood in silence and I could see her eyes glistening. Dont do this shit to me now. I thought. We been through thick and thin, she was my ride or die because I didnt have anybody else.  That alone made me feel bad about taking my anger out on her. I hugged my sister tight.  

" Im sorry..its just that I want better for us." I said softly almost trying not to cry myself. Kartier was the only person who could make me vunerable. When you have a twin that experience hits different I swear. But I meant what I said to her, Coming from nothing and having to "get it out the mud" I had to become something. The last name Washington is gonna ring bells in the Chi streets. Believe that! Our heart to heart moment was interrupted by a dramatic clapping sound coming from a big shiny Escalade that was parked behind us. It was Red Dress. My eyes rolled hard in its sockets. She stood there smoking a blunt confidently.  "If you wanna make some money get in." Was the only response that came from her mouth before returning into the car. I hesistated but only because this bitch embarrassed me in front of people and now she talking about getting money? Females are weird I tell you. But I did wanna make some money for sure.

" I dont think-" Kartier started to say but I quickly cut her off. "Im going. " I said walking towards them. If this was oppurtunity knocking then I was answering.  I knew she would follow because just like she was my ride or die ...I was hers.

"