ACT ONE - SCENE 1-

Prologue

September 2010

LONDIWE

(On the phone) Pheliwe, you can come, his wife left. Wear that little red dress I bought you. You can use my makeup and my weave as well.

PEARL

Mama, I can't. I'm pregnant with Zola's child.

LONDIWE

Listen to me, Zola is just a boy who can't even feed himself, let alone a child. You must abort.

PEARL

Hah! Mama, I'm afraid to abort.

LONDIWE

Pheliwe, we can't miss this opportunity. Mr. Kunene is our gold.

PEARL

I love Zola, and he loves me.

LONDIWE

You are only 18 Pheliwe, what do you know about love. Next year you are going to varsity, where will we get the money if we don't do this? You know I'm only a domestic worker, with nothing. You are a ticket to elevate me and your brother out of poverty. Now hurry here before my boss leaves.

PEARL

Okay mama, I'm coming.

∞∞∞

March 2020

ACT 1-MY FRENEMY

ACT 1: SCENE 1

THANDO & PEARL'S APARTMENT—EARLY MORNING

(THANDO (25), a short and chubby beautiful young woman sleeps peacefully in her single bed. She has full pyjamas on and a headcloth. Her room has standard furniture. Naughty noise from the other bedroom interrupts her beauty sleep. Her round eyes slit open from the unusual alarm clock. She smiles mildly and shakes her head. Despite the morning, her chestnut skin is smooth, complemented by her short and dark afro. BEEP-her phone buzzes. She turns and grabs it. The SMS reads: I WILL PASS BY NOW. She jumps off excitedly).

PEARL'S BEDROOM—EARLY MORNING

(PEARL (27), a tall and slender babe, jumps off an old man, JOHN 70, after a top position in the next bedroom. She is a glamorous yellow-bone with long hair, lengthy eyelashes, and glossy curved nails. The bedroom is spacious, with sophisticated furniture and a gigantic bed covered with white linen. The man next to her is dead tired).

PEARL

Baby, you don't love me. You promised to buy me this apartment with your pension. It's been two months since you got the money.

JOHN

(John gives her an envelope)

Remember yesterday I said I have a surprise for you. The apartment is now in your name.

PEARL

Serious? Thank you. I love you so much.

JOHN

I love you with my life.

PEARL

(Her phone beeps, someone is coming).

Love, you need to go. I have an early meeting at work today.

(She gives him his clothes and pushes him outside the kitchen door. As she closes the door behind her, she exhales, sending her eyes to heaven and back. Thando is in the kitchen fixing a sandwich for her boyfriend).