Just the beginning

Senior year, the year you get to party hard because it's your last year. It's the year where you're the oldest in the school. It's the year where you decide where to go to college. It's the year where you become an adult. My name is Marcy Cadwell and I'm a senior at Keegan high school. It's the first day back to school and I'm not excited at all. Yes, I know I should be excited because it's "senior year", but seeing the same people over again and doing the same thing again isn't really my thing. If the school ends in a big bang maybe I'll get excited, but for now I'm not. One thing I'm happy about being a senior is that I'll be out of this hell hole in less than a year.

I get out of bed and do the usual. Once I get dressed I look at my phone clock, it's only 6:30 and school doesn't start another thirty minutes. Luckily I'm not those kids who have to ride the bus, I have my own car. Thanks to my hard work. My mom always wanted me to be "independent", but I can't move out which doesn't make any sense to me at all, once I turn eighteen I'm out, she can't stop me.

My mom is an alcoholic. When I was 13, my parents had gotten a divorce and that's when it all went downhill with her drinking. Ever since then I've had to take care of myself. She quit her job as a bank accountant and now works at a nearby Wal-Mart. When I turned sixteen she told me to be "independent" and try to find my own job. I think it was her way of telling me she doesn't have enough money and usually spends it on alcohol. I don't hate my mom or anything, don't get me wrong. I love her, but I've spent most of my life worrying about her and paying the bills. I'm barely an adult and I already have to take care of someone else. I want to live my life and live alone and find myself.

I check the clock and it reads 6:45. I groan and grab my backpack and look into the mirror one last time, I smile. My outfit looks good. I'm wearing a tan oversized jacket, an army green tank, camo pants, brown boots, and a dog tag necklace. I call this outfit military chic, I chuckle to myself. I head down stairs and walk into the kitchen, "Hey mom" I said.

"Hi, honey!" she said as she's holding a glass of wine and slurring her words. I shake my head, she's already drunk.

"Mom, go lay down," I said and take the glass away from her.

"Okay, whatever my little baby says, as long as you never leave me," she said and pinches both my cheeks. I pull her hands away and take her to the couch, I tuck her in and kiss her forehead.

"What am I gonna do with you," I whisper and walk back into the kitchen. I look at the clock and it's 6:50.

"Shoot! I'm gonna be late," I rush into the cabinets and grab a granola bar and rush out of the house. I quickly rush into the car and put the keys into the ignition and drive out of the driveway. I live ten minutes away from the school. Damn, I'm gonna be late. I think to myself angrily. I stop at a red light and I turn on the radio to pass time. None of the music on the radio is good, so I decide to listen to some news.

"This is an emergency broadcast, there has been a virus outbreak in Nashville, Tennessee. There is an infected person who has left the Nashville hospital and we are trying everything in our power to get them. People of Nashville and the cities close to Nashville, stay in your homes for the time being, don't let your kids go to school and don't go to work. If you get infected with the virus please go to your nearest hospital, you will find help there. But whatever you do stay in your homes."