Chapter 05 : 20cm

Taehyun sat in the living room, deep in thought, nervously bouncing his legs as he scrolled through his phone. Every now and then, he glanced at Beomgyu, who was busy cooking in the kitchen. After sipping his Pororo drink, Taehyun turned on the Bluetooth speaker and played "Dear Sputnik" by TOMORROW X TOGETHER.

He tried to relax on the sofa but soon stood up, placed his phone on the table, and headed to the kitchen. Leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, he watched Beomgyu at work. The older boy wore an apron, his hair still tied back in a ponytail. Taehyun's eyes traced the lines of Beomgyu's physique—from his broad shoulders to his biceps, his slim waist, and long legs. Everything about him seemed perfect. Taehyun licked his lips, unable to look away.

"Are you enjoying the view?" Beomgyu suddenly asked, causing Taehyun to jump.

"Do you need any help?" Taehyun quickly changed the subject, trying to sound casual. Beomgyu was busy chopping kimchi while keeping an eye on a pot of boiling chicken soup.

"Do you want to help?" Beomgyu replied, blowing on a spoonful of soup before tasting it. Taehyun swallowed nervously and nodded.

"Help me chop this kimchi. I need to season the soup."

Taehyun nodded again and stepped closer. Beomgyu handed him a knife, and Taehyun took it, staring at the kimchi in front of him. He hadn't cooked much before, and he had even messed up making ramen earlier. Struggling to hold the knife properly, he began to slice the kimchi, his lips pursed in concentration.

Beomgyu glanced over and chuckled softly. Taehyun paused, looking up at Beomgyu with a frown. Did he do something wrong?

"What?" Taehyun asked.

"That's not how you cut kimchi, Taehyun-ssi," Beomgyu joked, watching as Taehyun stared in shock at the chaotic mess he'd made of the kimchi. It was less a cut and more a complete disaster. Embarrassment washed over him, and he bit his lip.

"Sorry, I messed it up," he mumbled.

Beomgyu's expression softened as he observed Taehyun, who was now stirring the mangled kimchi with his hand, still pouting. Without saying a word, Beomgyu turned off the stove, washed his hands, and took away the ruined kimchi. He retrieved a fresh one from the bag, grateful he had bought extra just in case. He also grabbed some instant rice. Setting the new kimchi in front of Taehyun, Beomgyu couldn't help but chuckle at the younger boy's bewildered look. Just then, the song shifted to "Fever" by ENHYPEN.

"Here, let me show you how it's done," Beomgyu said, stepping behind Taehyun. He placed his hand over Taehyun's, guiding him to hold the knife correctly while his other hand steadied Taehyun's grip on the kimchi. Taehyun's heart raced as he felt Beomgyu's breath against his neck.

Despite being so close, Beomgyu's attention kept flickering between the kimchi and Taehyun's neck. He felt a pull of temptation. As a vampire, his thirst for blood was far more intense than a human's craving for food.

This wasn't good.

Beomgyu took a deep breath, trying to rein in his urges. The lyrics of the song playing in the background weren't helping either. The sweet scent of strawberries from Taehyun's skin and the way the younger boy's breath hitched with every touch were driving him wild.

My body is burning up because of you

My heart thirsts because of you

Like a fever, fever, fever, fever

I want to embrace you

But Beomgyu knew he must hold back, or he risked hurting Taehyun. He concentrated on helping him cut the kimchi properly, resting his chin on Taehyun's shoulder. Taehyun felt a flutter in his stomach as he watched their hands move in unison.

Am I... falling for a stranger?

He scoffed at the thought. How could he, Kang Taehyun, someone who didn't even believe in love, be falling for a stranger?

Maybe it was just puberty.

Lost in his thoughts, Taehyun didn't notice when Beomgyu stepped back until he heard him speak again.

"—and that's how you cut kimchi, Kang."

Taehyun snapped back to reality, finding Beomgyu's face just inches from his own, their noses nearly touching. For a brief moment, it felt like they were in their own little world, a private sanctuary where one of them was confessing their feelings under the moonlight, promising to be together forever.

Taehyun looked into Beomgyu's eyes, captivated by their deep crimson shade. He reached up, gently tracing his fingers beneath Beomgyu's eyes.

"Are these your real eyes?"

Beomgyu's eyes widened in surprise. He must have forgotten to put in his contact lenses.

"No—they're not," he lied. Taehyun nodded, and Beomgyu quickly pulled away, his cheeks flushed from the intensity of Taehyun's gaze. Realizing how close they were, Taehyun looked away, his own cheeks burning. They'd only just met, yet this Beomgyu was already awakening feelings in him that he'd never felt before.

"Uh... should we eat?" Beomgyu suggested awkwardly.

Taehyun simply nodded, both of them avoiding each other's eyes as the tension lingered in the air.

Seriously, Choi Beomgyu... who gave you the right to make me feel this way?