Untitled Part 1

Doc looked over at the man sleeping in the seat beside him. the trip to his home town, Thomasville North Carolina, was 35 and a half hours from Radiator Springs Arizona. it was late and Doc had told the younger to rest so when they got to Cotter Pin he wasn't tired. he wanted the younger to be awake to meet his friends Louise, Junior, River, and Smokey. they had about 45 minutes before they got there and he debated if he wanted to wake the younger just yet. he decided to go ahead and wake him. he reached over.

"Monty, hey, baby. wake up." Doc said, shaking him. Lightning jerked up and mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Hud?" he ask.

"hey we got about 45 minutes. okay? so just start waking up." Doc said. Lightning nodded and stretched.

"how long was I out?" he mumbled, leaning against Doc, trying to blink himself awake.

"about two hours." Doc said. Lightning nodded and rubbed at his face.

"I need more sleep." he mumbled.

"we're just going to stop in for a bit at Cotter Pin and meet the gang, then we'll head to the hotel. okay?" Doc ask. Lightning looked at the clock, 9PM.

"okay, as long as it's just for a bit. if I pass out in there, I won't be happy." Lightning frowned.

"you'll be fine Monty." Doc assured. his lover was extremely hesitant and nervous to meet Docs friends, but had sprung the trip on Doc as a surprise. Doc had mentioned wanting to video call his friends and, while Lightning could help him, his friends had no idea how to set it up. so Lightning had suggested they make the trip to see them so he could set up the video app on their computers, and so Doc could see his friends in person for the first time in 50 years. it was all Lightnings idea, but he was still nervous, nearly terrified. he cuddled to Docs side, they all know Doc was his crew chief and he was openly gay. they didn't know Lightning was gay, except Smokey, who Doc had told weeks ago they they were together. "don't go back to sleep." Doc warned.

"m'not." he huffed, stretching again. Doc chuckled softly as he drove. Lightning looked around and paused, smiling a little.

"look at you up there on that billboard." Lightning smiled. "welcome to Thomasville, home of the 3 time piston cup winner, number 51, the Fabulous Hudson Hornet." Lightning read. "thats cool." he smiled.

"yeah. it is." Doc smiled. it was quiet a moment and Lightning looked over at Doc.

"you pay them to put that up?" he ask. Docs gaze snapped over to him.

"no. I didn't." Doc huffed. Lightning laughed at him and cuddled to his side. he looked up when Doc parked and tensed slightly. Doc shut the Hornet off and looked over at him. "you ready to meet them kid?" Doc ask.

"not really, but I'm going to do it anyway." he muttered, unbuckling. Doc smiled at him and got out with him.

"don't panic." Doc snorted.

"it's like meeting your family." Lightning muttered. Doc laughed and ruffled his hair.

"yeah well, I already know your family, only fair you meet mine." Doc chuckled. Lightnings family was in Radiator Springs, he didn't have anyone else.

"you introduced me to my family." Lightning huffed.

"come on." Doc murmured, leading him inside. Lightning followed him hesitantly.

"well I'll be. Hud you old sonuva bitch!" Smokey grinned getting up from the table to hug Doc. Lightning quickly stepped out of the way, a small smile on his face.

"hey Smokey." Doc chuckled. he stepped back and motioned to Lightning. "Monty." Doc said. Smokey reached for the younger mans hand to shake.

"nice to finally meet you kid." Smokey chuckled.