The Sea of Life

They had planned this trip for a long time, but they knew that this was a trip he would take alone. In the fifty-plus years of their marriage, it was not uncommon for them to travel separately. While loving each other's company, they also enjoyed time alone. No worries about what the other person would do - or not do, as the case may be. No sense of commitment beyond yourself. 

He chose a cruise for this trip. He loved the ocean and the feel of a cruise ship. They had taken dozens of cruises together, and he was always amazed at how he went on board. The shear force of the engines when the ship began to move. No sounds came from them, only the sound of water moving as the inner machines moved the massive vessel from the quay. You can feel the power of your body. It was as if you were somehow attached to the deck. Your feet appear to be guiding the vessel as it begins its journey. 

Only a short time ago, he had hugged his wife, daughter, son-in-law and grand-children when they said goodbye to him in the comfort lounge at the cruise terminal. There were a few tears, but mostly there were smiles all around. Now he stood on the ship's deck and waved goodbye to the family. They waved back with great enthusiasm and shouted out to wish him a safe journey. He stayed there until they could no longer be seen. 

It was now time to explore this wonderful vessel. He chose this cruise line as they had sailed the sister ships on the line and loved the experience. However, this ship was completely different from the others. All the cabins were outdoor cabins, and each cabin had a porch. Each porch was large enough for an armchair, a table and two other chairs. The decor of the ship was also completely different. It was difficult to explain. It did not matter where you went, you felt calm, and that is no easy achievement from the designer. There were no cold drafts from the air conditioner. The temperature was within a constant comfortable range. 

Everyone on board was incredibly friendly. He knew the ship's crew would be. They never forgot a face or a name, and a smile was always present. When each of the crew saw him, there was a heartfelt "Hi John!", followed by a smile. He had no idea how everyone knew his name, but he took it as a good start. His fellow passengers were also all smiling and excited. 

The day was perfect. Bright sun, birds riding in the wind created by the ship, the sound of the waves as they gently broke over the bow, the mild rustle of the water as it passed the stern and a sea so clear that you were sure you could see the bottom if you stared hard and long enough at it. He could not have asked for a better day. 

He retreated back to his cabin, went out on the porch, sat in the armchair, pulled out a book, and began to read. He must have lost track of time. His stewardess interrupted his reading when she told him that dinner would be served in the dining room in thirty minutes. There was no need to dress up on this cruise line, so he closed the book and slowly made his way to the dining room.

He was greeted by the head chef. He did not have to give them his table number. They knew it. He preferred to eat alone and had a beautifully placed table at the stern. This allowed an unobstructed view of the ship's wake while the water closed behind them. He was surprised to see many of his favorite dishes on the menu. He made his choices, sat back and waited for the dishes to arrive. It was the best meal he had eaten in a very long time. He must remember not to give his beloved his opinion. She was a very good cook. 

Now that he was done, he went to the upper deck to enjoy the fresh evening breeze. He walked the path several times and decided it was time to go to bed.His cabin was already prepared for his arrival. Fresh flowers adorned the table, the bed was knocked down, chocolate lay on his pillow, and the cottage was already the perfect temperature to sleep in. After having an almost perfect day, that is, with the exception of leaving the family, he left his head down on the pillow and smiled a wide smile. Then he fell asleep.

The woman hugged her mother and cried softly into her shoulder. Her mother stroked her hair and said it was okay as her own tears trickled slowly down her cheeks. Lying on the bed in front of them was the man she had fallen in love with over fifty years ago, and who until recently had been the strongest in the family. Now his used body is lying on the bed, he was gone. She did not know why, but she thought it was interesting that he had left this world with what appeared to be a smile on his face.