one | goodbye

parting, farewell

"YOU'RE THE MOST AMAZING MAN, ELISHA LUNSFORD."

       His lip was quivering as he stood in front of the closed door, his shaky hand only an inch or so from the door knob. He knew what he had to do, but he didn't know if he had the strength to do it. Everyone he loved was on the other side of that door. Who was he without them?

       The shaking of his hand stopped as he heard the record player sputtering to life inside. He looked up, smiling as he heard the music mixing with the pouring rain that surrounded him. Sara loved The Manhattans, and from the sounds of it, she was going to make sure that their son did as well. He took a deep breath and opened the door.

       "Is that you, love?" came Sara's voice over the beat of Searching For Love.

       Elisha took another deep, steadying breath before he answered his wife. "Yeah."

       He couldn't help smiling as he caught sight of his beautiful wife entering the foyer. Sara Lunsford danced to the beat of the music towards her husband, their nearly-two-month-old bouncing on her hip. Little Dean had a look of pure joy on his face, flapping his chubby little arms at the sight of his father and the happy beat of the music.

       Sara took Elisha's hand, raising it up and spinning herself beneath it, which only made Dean squeal in excitement. Elisha felt his lip quivering again, but he refused to let them see it. Beaming, Sara pushed herself onto the tips of her toes and kissed her husband. "Welcome home," she greeted against his lips, but as she started to lean against him, she pulled away, feeling the water seeping into her dress. "You're all wet," she chuckled. "Are you going to - ?" - she made a motion with her free hand that resembled the casting of a spell.

       Elisha smiled as he took out his wand and silently cast a drying spell on himself.

       Sara leaned into her now-dry husband. "I love the magic you do," she cooed.

       "Do you, now?" Elisha asked with a cocked eyebrow. He took out his wand again, and with little more than a twirl of it, a bouquet of red roses appeared in his hand, and his wife gasped in awe.

       "You're the most amazing man, Elisha Lunsford," Sara gushed, leaning her head lovingly against his chest. Her eyes went to her son, who was looking at the flowers with amazement in his eyes. "If you're even half as charming as your father, Dean, you'll be a heartbreaker for sure."

       Elisha closed his eyes at her words.

       Nearly an hour and a half later, Elisha waved his wand in front of their fireplace, a roaring fire coming to life in it. The family had eaten, Dean had been bathed and put to bed, and now it was just Sara and Elisha. He normally loved any moment alone that he could get with her, but he was dreading this one. How was he going to go through with this?