Wild's Calling

I raised my nose into the air and sniffed.

The scent of the evergreen forest flooded my nostrils and the sound of small animals scampering away filled my ears. My senses were on high alert, as I processed how far I had run. Dropping the small pack I had in my mouth by an oak tree, I yawned. The sweet refreshing forest scent is so comforting, reminding me of the few good memories of my childhood. I shook my fur, letting out a slow growl as I scanned the area one last time.

Feeling confident that the coast was clear, I allowed my body to relax and the soft midnight black fur of my wolf began to fade. I had become numb to the pain of the shifting, as I had done it so many times that it was natural to feel my bones reshaped and transformed.

A few days' journey under my belt, I stood naked beside the massive oak tree. As I reached with my long fingers to draw my silky pitch-black hair back away from my face, it swayed with the cool night wind just below my waistline. My silver, grey eyes continued to scan the area as I knelt beside my small pack. Opening the flap, I pulled my simple clothes from the container and began to dress. The sounds of the nearby town began to fill my ears as I pulled my sneaker over my right foot.

It had been months since I had graced civilization. I began to wonder if I still knew how to communicate with others. I scanned the road that would lead to the small town, before stepping from the safety of the forest. My sneakers padded on the concrete floor as I made my way. It was late in the day and I hoped to make it to the town by nightfall.

Just once, I want to come to a town for pleasure . My mind reached out to my only companion.

My world, Jaeyi, lay in the depths of my soul.

Are you suggesting that you're not going to enjoy yourself? Jaeyi responded with a teasing tone in her voice.

I thought back to the reason for coming to this small town. I was asked to come, by a man that lived near here. He believed a vampire was here and was willing to pay well, in cash. I couldn't turn down the amount of money I would make for the kill.

Vampires were an easy kill for me now. I discovered several years back,I was able to keep up with extreme reflexes that my prey would present. I smiled to myself and the thrill of the coming hunt.I felt primal urge surge through me as I realised what my wolf implied. I smiled once more, passing the sign to the town."Gimhwa," I murmured, "population 1,267. It'll be difficult to blend in here." I added as I tightened my grip on the tiny brown pack on my shoulder and accelerated my pace.

I walked through the town square slowly, taking in the small diners that were open and the families that passed by. To everyone that passed, I looked like I kept to myself, but I sniffed carefully as they moved by. I knew the smell of my prey. The smell of decay that seemed to flood the area around every vampire. I inhaled deeply through my nose, the smell of the town coming in full wafts. The sweet smell of the bakery, the bitter smell of coffee and fresh rolls coming from the oven at the cafe filled my nostrils. There was nothing decaying or dead in the air.

I stepped into the small cafe at the corner of the square. The fresh rolls were being set on a counter in the back, the smell almost calling to my grumbling stomach. It had been nearly a year since I had something I hadn't caught myself. I stepped up to the counter and sat on a small stool.

"Good evening, darlin'." An older woman, with greying hair, approached me from the other side of the countertop. Her smile was warm and welcoming.

"What can I get for ya?" Her brown eyes were warm as she looked at me, turning over the coffee mug on the counter top.

"Soup and a roll, please" I gave a tight-lipped smile, feeling uncomfortable back in civilization. I wouldn't be here if not for the chance to put another notch in my belt.