The Manners Of Sneezing

This ruling ''Verily, Allah SWT loves sneezing and detests yawning; so if one of you sneezes and (then) praises Allah, it is a right upon every muslim who hears him to say to him, 'Yarhamakullah (May Allah have mercy on you)."

-Hazrat Muhammad (SalallahoAlaiHeWasallam)  (Bukhari:2626)

Sneezing is Allah's blessing and when we are given a blessing, We should praise Allah SWT by saying,

      "Alhumdulillah

(All praise be to Allah SWT)"

THE SOUND OF SNEEZING

When one sneezes, the sound he makes is often loud and annoying to others; it is often recommended for him to keep the sound of his sneeze as low as possible, by placing his hand or his clothes over his face. Also, when sneezing a great deal of spray comes out of his mouth, so he should place his hand over his mouth.

Abu Huraira related this Hadeeth: "When the Prophet SAW would sneeze, he would cover his face with his hand or with his garment, and with it (i.e., with his hand/garment) he would lower the sound of it (i.e.,sneeze)."

WHEN ONE HEARS SOMEONE SNEEZE AND SAYS "ALHUMDULILLAH", WHAT SHOULD HE SAY ACCORDING TO SUNNAH?

This ruling is based on the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurairah, in which he related that the Prophet SAW said,

"When one of you sneezes, then let him say, 'All praise is to Allah' and let his brother or companion say to him, YARHAMUKALLAH (May Allah have mercy on you)."

WHAT SHOULD THE SNEEZER REPLY WITH ATER HIS COMPANION HAD SAID YARHAMUKALLAH?

The Prophet SAW said,

"When one of you sneezes, then let him say, 'All praise is to Allah' and let his brother companion say to him, 'May Allah have mercy on you.' And when he(companion) says, 'May Allah have mercy on you, then let him (the sneezer) say, YAHDEE KUMULLAHU WA YUSLIHU BAA LAKUM (May Allah guide you and rectiy your situation)."

IF SOMEONE FROM THE PEOPLE OF THE DIMMAH (JEWS AND CHRISTAINS) SNEEZES, WHAT SHOULD A MUSLIM RESPOND WITH?

Abu Moosa RadiAllahu Anhu said, "The Jews would feign sneezing in the presence of the Prophet SAW, hoping that he would say to them, Yarhamukallah(May Allah have mercy on you). But he would instead say, 'YAHDEE KUMULLAHU WA YUSLIHU BAA LAKUM (May Allah guide you and rectify your situation)."

SNEEZING DURING PRAYER

It is permissible for a person who sneezes during prayer to say , 'Alhumdulillah (All praise be to Allah),' but it is not permissible for those who hear him (if they are too praying) to respond with, 'Yarhamukallah (May Allah have mercy on you).'

RULING FOR THREE OR MORE SNEEZES

Salamah Ibn Al-Kawa reported that he heard the Prophet SAW say after a man sneezed in his presence, 'May Allah have mercy on you.' The man then sneezed again, and the messenger of Allah SAW said to him, 'The man is suffering from a cold.'

This suggests that the others should then invoke Allah to cure him, for a cold is a kind of sickness.

Abu Hurairah RadiAllahuUnhu said, "Shammit (i.e. say, May Allah have mercy on you) to your brother three times; if he sneezes more then that he has a cold." According to the scholars the strongest point in the matter is that ' You are suffering rom cold' should be said to him the third time he sneezes. One is in effect saying, 'You are not from those to whom Tashmeet (to say, 'May Allah have mercy on you') should be said after this, because what you are inflicted with is a cold and a sickness, and not the mildness of a simple sneeze.'

NOTE:

This is from 'The Book Of MANNERS'.

I do not own it. #SpreadIslam #FollowSunnah