long story short

"... right Fred?"

"Yeah that's cool, whatever," Fred grumbled as a very irritated George hit his side.

The pair were having breakfast at the Gryffindor table, and the two were supposed to be brainstorming shop ideas, but it was apparent that Fred's mind was off somewhere else.

Regardless of how hard he tried, Fred's mind was often clouded with his feelings about Y/N. The two had been best friends since third year, and it took him a long time to realize that he wanted to be much more than just her best friend. But just as expected, right as Fred realized, Y/N had gotten into a relationship.

"Dude, Y/N is with Adrian now, you need to get over it," George said. While he did feel bad for his twin, there wasn't much that either of them could do about it.

Fred nodded, but just as he was about to respond to his brother, he noticed a flustered Y/N get up from the Slytherin table. In all honesty, if Fred hadn't been staring at her he wouldn't have noticed how distraught she was. Without another thought, the ginger boy got up from his seat and followed her into the corridor.

"Y/N, wait up!" Fred called out, not quite sure what he was going to say to her. The Slytherin girl slowed down, waiting for her friend to catch up.

When it came to his and Y/N's relationship, there wasn't a lot they wouldn't talk about, but Y/N's relationship with Adrian was a conversation that was often avoided. Y/N knew how Fred felt about Adrian, so she made an effort to keep the two as separate portions of her life.

"Hi, Fred," Y/N's cheeks were flushed, her eyes glossy.

Fred winced. Up until she had started dating Adrian, Y/N always called Fred by his nickname. When Y/N started dating Adrian she pulled away from Fred quickly. He could tell she tried to make everything seem normal, but it wasn't.

"Is everything alright? You walked out of the Great Hall a bit fast." Fred said. The pair were now sitting on a bench in the courtyard.

"Just... some stuff with Adrian." Y/N said, knowing that there was no way that Fred would allow her to leave it at that. There was an ever growing vendetta that Fred had against Adrian, and him hurting Y/N would probably be the worst thing that the Slytherin could do.

"Listen, I know I'm not Adrian's number one fan, but I'm still your best friend." Fred said, hoping that Y/N would talk to him. It had been months since the two had chatted about anything of substance and he feared their friendship would fall apart if they kept avoiding each other.

Y/N went silent for a moment, weighing her options in her head. After a short while she looked at Fred and started, "Have you ever been in love?"

The question completely caught Fred off guard. He wasn't exactly sure what he expected Y/N to say, but that wasn't a question he was prepared to think about.

Sure, Fred had dated around during his time at Hogwarts, but the only person he had ever really loved was Y/N. It wasn't something he had ever wanted to talk about with her, particularly because he didn't know how great he would be at concealing his emotions. How terrible would it be for him to confess it to her while she was in a relationship?

Fred nodded, "Yeah, I've been in love before."

"How did you know? What did it feel like?" Y/N asked, looking genuinely curious. Was Y/N truly asking him about this?

Fred looked at her incredulously, speaking once more, "Honestly, love, I think it's different for everyone," The look on Y/N's face was unreadable as Fred continued, "for me, I just knew."