Prologue

As the winter break drew near, my memories of the past school year grew fainter and fainter. I’ve come to a conclusion that the students who revolve around me are utterly boring like my father’s plaid shirts. I sat there, criticizing the students once more. This was a sign that my therapy class hadn’t made a scratch on my personality. I wouldn’t say I was a loner at my school. It’s just that everyone at my school is boring. There I go with my notion again.

“It’s not your fault, take it easy on yourself,” he muttered softly towering over me.

What did he just say?

            I looked at the students, who were retreating like soldiers.

            Skye had grown a couple of centimeters past my height in the last couple of years, quite ironic how I used to tease him about his height. But it didn’t really make a difference anymore. We’ve changed, and so have the times. His long blond hair brushed against his face, from a distance you would assume he had a mop on his head.

The polluted Earth’s atmosphere had a faint odour nowadays, provoking people to wear masks. It’s a dreadful sight. The sort that makes you wonder if Death himself had come to visit us. 

            “Whatever, it doesn’t concern me. Go home and get some rest,” I spat at him.

            There was some risk involved in telling that to someone of a higher rank, especially in a rude manner, and I would probably get a good lecture on the basics of respect again. Instead, he lightly nodded and ambled away to the distance.

            Leaves stuck to my bag when I hefted it from the dry ground, creating a mess of dead plants stuck to the underside.

            At home, my mother ordered me to set the dishes out – which I normally do without hesitation. I must have been sitting there deep in thought. This shouldn’t be bothering me, it wasn’t my fault. I blamed Skye for bringing the topic up. My mother entered the room and aimed the remote at the television. A reporter is speaking: “Shocking images of what is suspected as being a terrorist attack on the White House have just been released. Officials state that the situation is under control…”

            Her words droned on, but they didn’t reach my ears. I must have dropped the plates because my mother came running towards me with horror in her eyes. Horror that will never stop haunting me, even to this very moment.

            All because of me.