Chapter One: The Beginning

They say your destiny is already written. But sometimes you just have to grab a pen and become your own author. My destiny however, well, that's a different story. 

                     I sat on the hard wooden surface of my bedroom floor. I could feel how cool the floor was when I laid my palms on top of it, trying to hold me up in my sitting position. I listened as I could hear the pitter patter of raindrops cascading on top the roof of my bedroom. It made a soothing sound. I have always personally loved the rain and the sounds it makes. I could hear the roaring sounds of thunder in the not far off distance. I decided to stop searching for my phone under the bed an started to climb up off the floor  and walk towards the one window in my room. I pushed away my turquoise sheet hanging over the window. 'Mom has been bugging me about removing the sheet and buying an actual curtain to replace it, but I don't mind it. So what if it may look weird.' As i moved the sheet away from the window, I peered around outside. I could see dark gray clouds rolling around in the distance. There was a shot of lighting not to far from the apartment. 'I may enjoy the rain, but I certainly don't enjoy storms.' I sighed knowing I probably wasn't going to be going to hangout with my two best friends. 'I wonder what Chloe and Jett are up to right now, almost certainly having fun without me I assume. It's only the first week of summer anyways, so I can more than likely hang out with them tomorrow.'

                  "HEY CAI!!! I FOUND YOU'RE PHONE!" My ears shot up and I started moving my feet to the door. I ran down the stairs to see mom sitting at the kitchen table. She was organizing her coupons like she does every Sunday. "You found it? Where was it?" I looked at mom earnestly with hopeful eyes. I watched as her smile turned into a small fit of giggles. "I found it in your laundry again. Luckily I bought you a waterproof phone this time, or else you wouldn't have another phone for quite awhile." I tend to forget things pretty easily. Usually I can have one thing in my hand, set it down and frick out two seconds later wondering where it is. I reached over and wrapped my fingers around my phone. "Sorry mom. I'll try to get better at not forgetting to check my pockets before washing my pants." 

                    I shoved my phone into my shorts pocket and gave my mother a goofy smile. I strolled over to the fridge and pulled out a jug of milk. I sat it on the small wooden kitchen table and then grabbed a glass bowl and a box of Fruity Pebbles. Fruity Pebbles are most definitely my favorite cereal. While I was pouring cereal into the bowl I noticed the mail was on top the counter. When I finished preparing my lunch I sat it on the table in front of my seat and then walked over the the counter. I picked up the mail to check and see what we got. "No! Don't mess with those!" The mail was ripped away from my hands. I turned around and looked at my mother in shock. "What's wrong? It's just the mail. Probably just people trying to sell us things or something." I watched as my mother sighed in aggravation. She layed the envelopes on the table. "There just some bill payments I need to take care of is all. Nothing to worry about." I eyed her suspiciously pulling my right eyebrow up. 'I can tell she is lying.' 

                    I swiftly snatched the envelopes off the table and ran into the living room. I opened one which was for our apartment room. I scanned quickly through the document, in case mom tried to take them away again. "$2000 for the rent! Mom, why haven't you told me?" I swung my body around to turn towards my now worried mother. I could see her pale blue eyes watering a bit. "We're just behind on a three months rent. That's why i'm taking two shifts at the restaurant and i'm applying for another job. It's nothing we can't get through. It will only be a little while, then it will all be back to normal." She forced a fake smile while I handed her the envelopes back. "Mom, you don't need to do that. I'm 17 and can get my own job now. Its the beginning of summer. I'll go out tomorrow once the weather clears and find a part time job myself. I need something to do during the break anyways." I could tell she was trying hard to hold in her tears, but she failed as tears started to flow down her cheeks. "Oh Cai. I should never forget that no matter how much i may be scared. I will always have my son to comfort me. My angel." I could feel my pale cheeks make a burning sensation. I knew I was embarrassed. "You know I wish you would stop referring to me as an angel. Trust me, I'm nothing close to being an angel." She just smiled and looked into my eyes. It felt as though she was staring right through me. Like there was something else on her mind.

                   Back in my bedroom I sent Chloe and Jett a message asking them if they'd like to go job hunting with me. Jett said yes immediately. It took some pleading for Chloe to agree to come with us. Chloe has always been the cool lazy type. Shes all into rock and metal. She actually recently dyed her hair blue. I layed on my bed and closed my eyes. I smiled, hoping that there would be something interesting that happens this summer. 'Who knows, maybe I'll actually get a boyfriend.' Crack. Bang. I jumped up off my bed and scurried to my window. 'That noise sounded like it was just right outside my room. Good thing I'm on the second floor.' I observed everything I could see outside my window. Because the storm clouds are above, it was pretty dark to see clearly. My eyes caught a flash of a shadow that seemed to have ran behind the dumpster. I kept my eyes on the dumpster. After about two minutes I was ready to believe it was just an animal or my imagination. But right before I walked away, I saw a pair of big bright red eyes and what seemed to be fangs.