Sunday Worship

It's 5 am in the morning and Sadie woke up with the buzzing of her cute childhood cactus alarm clock. It's Sunday again and it is time for worship. Sadie did the same old routine since she was a child. She was excited to attend the mass in their town's church again. The past 5 years, She had been attending mass in their school's chapel. A vacation from her school is what she need.

"How nostalgic this is?" Sadie whispered to herself.

She happily filed her bed and fixed her hair. As she entered her bathroom, she turned on the hot shower. She soaked herself in the hot bath. Sadie missed her town so much. She had one thing in mind: Resto de Fierro's Carbonara, her favorite.

"Sadie, breakfast is ready" Her father called out to her.

"Coming in a bit pa" She replied in a sweet voice. Sadie sadly smiled when she remember her mother. Her mother died with cancer of the bone when she was 3. That is why she decided to enter med school and focused with oncology. A tear went down her cheek. She still longed for a mother's love. Good thing she has her dad. Even at the age of 26, she had a very close relationship with him. Her father did a great job in filling the role of her mother. She wiped away the tear on her cheeks. As well as the thoughts in her head and got out of the shower and dried herself up. Sadie wore her favorite flowy dress with patterns of bluebell flower. She matched it with a light make up and a nude-colored matte lipstick that accentuated her brown eyes and plump lips. Her hair was tied with a braided updo that compliments her dress as well. After a couple of minutes she went out of her room.

Her father greeted her with her favorite poached eggs and a cup of hot chocolate. "Let's eat before we go to church, I believe you got a busy day ahead Anne" he said with a big smile.

"Pa, don't call me that. I feel like a child" Sadie replied with a shy smile as she sat down the chair.

"You'll always be my little girl Anne and I'll always call you that because it suits you well." he replied as he touched her daughter's cheek. "Come on, eat up. The food will be cold."

"Even if it'll get cold, I bet it's still delicious. You're the best chef in the world." She said as she complimented her father.

After the two enjoyed their breakfast, they immediately went to the town church. A she rode her father's old pick up, nostalgia hit her. She used to open the passenger side window to watch the scenery of Santa Asuncion. What harm is there in doing it again? She opened up the passenger seat window and happily breathe in the air that greeted her.

"Old habits die hard I see" his father said with a small chuckle.

"Absolutely pa" she replied and they both broke out a heartily laugh.

It was a 20-minute drive from their home to the church. As they finally arrived, like a child seeing her parents again after a long day of work, Sadie's jaw dropped at the sight of Santa Asuncion Church.

"It is renovated pa?" She asked with a big smile.

"Yes, 5 years is a long time" He replied with a small laugh. It was painted with a bright shade of clay orange. It's structure is identical to the old Romanesque church. It has cruciform plan with apse and aisles, west portal, and side entrance. However this time it was all newly furnished to the naked eyes. As she entered, the old chandelier was replaced with a new modern styled-one.

"Good thing they replaced it pa. It was really old" she told her father.

"Yes, Mayor was very eager to renovate the church" her father replied.

The paintings and structures of the saints are still there. Sadie had always loved the Big Santa Asuncion Church with its tired, old trees. It was a place where she felt close to God. Sadie walked over to the bench close to the window and reflected on her artistic surroundings. The bell tower was still there and the bell was painted bright gold. Birds were happily chirping and the wind blew calmly. Just like always, this spot always has the sunlight that never ceasingly teased her tan skin. Then she saw something in the distance, or rather someone. It was a well-built man with a mysterious aura. He wore a plain royal blue jacket. He also had a jet black hair and eyes as if life went away from him. This sparked her curiosity. Santa Asuncion is a small town and all of the people living there are each other's acquaintances. This one is not familiar at all. The man just stood outside the church. Their gazes met. The man looked at him intently and with creepiness in his face. He gave her the chills. Sadie looked away and listened intently to the piano music playing as the priest walked down the aisle towards the altar. She couldn't wash away the creepiness she felt. Instead she focused herself on the mass. 

"Pa, do you see that man standing outside the church?" She whispered.

"Where? I don't see anyone." Her father replied.

Shocked from the information, she looked outside. Sadie's eyes widen. Her father was right, the man was no longer there. "Weird" she whispered under her breath.

"Who was it Anne?" Her father asked.

"I don't know. He was not familiar at all" She answered with a shrugged. "Anyways, let's focus pa"

After an hour, the mass was over. The people around Santa Asuncion welcomed her back. 

"Sadie, welcome back to town" an old woman greeted

"Anne, when did you came back?" a middle-aged woman asked.

"Sadie, dear, you're back home" said old man Roger, the town's pioneers.

"Little Sadie, I see you are now close to your dreams" complimented Elena, the town's secretary.

She could only feel warmth and happiness with all the greeting she got from the townsfolk. Everybody surely are hospitable.  

"Hey Sade! We missed you!" A brown-haired lady dressed in a plain teal dress shouted from afar. Beside her was a tall young man dressed in a gray polo shirt and brown slacks. These were very familiar voices to her. Like that of a family if one might ask.

"Carla, Hunter! I miss you guys!" She replied as she ran towards their direction. Her childhood best friends. She hugged Carla with all her might as she ask "Carla, how's life?" Oh, how she missed this jolly girl and braiding her long brown hair.

"We've got so many things to catch up" Carla answered with a wide smile.

"Yeah, we have" They were interrupted by a soft laugh from the Hunter, Carla's brother.

"Oh, Hunter give me a hug" Sadie answered and hugged him hesitantly. Hunter hugged her back and as they got out of each other's embrace he uttered "You've become a fine lady there Sade. You look very beautiful now".

Sadie blushed with Hunter's compliment. Regarding how well-built and manly Hunter looked now, she replied giddily "You look handsome too Hunter" as she looked shyly into Hunter's hazel-brown eyes.