Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

"Zayn," I said, siting on the couch next to Niall. Tears were still streaming down his face and his face was puffy and red. I held his hand, and Zayn looked menacingly at our hands. I let go, but Niall groped for my warm hand and clasped onto it again. He was acting like a little toddler. "Niall has something to tell you." I looked at Niall, the tears not stopping anytime soon. "What?" Zayn said. There was a pack of cigarettes in the trash can. It looked like it was empty. 

"I...I..." Niall stuttered, his hand still holding mine. I remembered when we would walk down the wet streets the day after a rainstorm, sniffing the air and laughing at our jokes. His hand was rough but his kisses soft on my cold cheek. "I got a girl pregnant."

Zayn looked at Niall, unblinking. He sat back on the bar stool, leaning against the counter. He ran a hand through his hair and took a huge breath of air and let it all out. Niall squeezed my hand, anxious to what his best friend was going to say. "Well..." Zayn started saying, eyeing the pack of cigarettes in the trashcan. He looked at Niall. "Who?"

Niall looked at Zayn, a little surprised at his reaction. "You... you aren't mad at me?" Niall asked. He had calmed down a bit, but he was still shaken up. "Just answer my question, Niall, please," he said, cracking his neck. 

"Giana," Niall said. He wiped a single tear coming down his face. "Giana."

"How did this happen?" Zayn asked.

Niall started off with telling Zayn the story he told me. "Giana," Niall said, just as she was about to leave his falt. "Please tell me if anything happens..." Giana let out a small giggle, sweeping her curled hair over her shoulder. Her eyes sparkled in the night. "Of course," she said. She walked up to Niall and put one hand on his cheek. He was hot and wearing nothing but a white t-shirt and boxers. He looked as if he had a straight expression on his face. He almost looked... nervous. "Wear something nice tomorrow night," Giana said. "We're going out. You're meeting my parents."

Niall just stared at her. He took her hand off his cheek. "No. I can't," Niall said. "I made a horrible mistake tonight. It could really mess up our whole lives." Giana bit her lip. "I had fun," she said, slowly walking away backwards. "I know you want to do it again."

"No, I don't," he said seriously. Niall had never been this serious around a girl before. He thought nothing would happen and he wouldn't regret it. He thought that it was going to be quick and he would enjoy it. But running through his head the whole time, he wasn't sure if he was making the right decision. "Just leave, Giana. I never want to see your face again."

Giana slipped into her car before Niall could even finish his sentence. Niall walked back inside and lay on his bed. The covers were all messed up and the pillows were on the floor. 

One week later, Giana called Niall in a panic. She started to explain to him that three days after the incident, her pregnancy test was positive. She tested five times, just to be sure, and they were all positive. Niall ran his hand through his light blonde hair and took a deep breath. "This can't be possible," he said. "Am I the only one you've slept with this month?"

"Yeah, I think so," Giana said. 

"You think?"

"I'm positive."

Niall let out a huge breath of air. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "I'll be right over," he mumbled, grabbing his keys and jumping into his car. He got to Giana's flat in five minutes time. He had known where she lived because the party her met her at was at a flat right next to her house, and whilst walking to the park, Giana had pointed to a tiny flat with a brick road leading up to the entry. "That's *hiccup* mine," she drunkenly said to Niall, her arm around his shoulders. Niall just nodded and thought nothing of it. He was with a pretty girl and hacing the time of his life.

When he got to Giana's flat, he could hear her loud sobs from the inside of the house. He knocked on the door and the sobs were slowing down by the time she unlocked the door and let Niall in. "I want to get an abortion," she said. "No!" Niall immediately yelled. "It's my child too!"

Giana started crying harder than she was before Niall came in. "But we have college, and I know you don't want to be with me anymore. So what's the point of keeping it?" she said in a high-pitched tone. "I don't know..." Niall yelled. He felt like he wanted to punch Giana, but she just lay against the wall. "But you are not getting an abortion, and that's final!" Niall stormed out of the house and that was the last he had seen of Giana. She didn't call him, he didn't call her. He wasn't sure if she was afraid to tell him she needed help getting through her abortion or help getting through her pregnancy.

"I don't know if she decided to keep the baby or not," Niall said in between sobs. Zayn was now at Niall's side, rubbing his back and whispering "it's okay, mate" 's.

"Why don't we find out?" I asked Niall without thinking. I pulled out a pad and a pen from the side table drawer and looked at him. I really wanted to help find out where his baby was. "You really want to help me?" Niall asked. His crying seemed to be slowing down a bit. "Yes," I said. We will find her. We will find your baby."