Chapter 14 : Runaway

It was a Saturday evening, and the tranquility of the weekend hung in the air. Beomgyu sat hunched over in the bathroom, clutching the toilet bowl as if it were his only lifeline. He had been vomiting since morning, confined to this cramped space for hours, unable to break free. His throat felt raw and scorched, while his stomach twisted with hunger. Yet, it wasn't food he craved—it was blood.

The desire for blood was an unrelenting, gnawing force within him, a hunger so intense it felt as if it were tearing him apart from the inside. As he leaned over the toilet, his body convulsed with dry heaves, the bitter taste of bile searing his throat, but all he could think about was the rich, warm taste of blood—life-sustaining and fulfilling. His mind was consumed by this thought, his senses heightened to the point where he could almost feel the thick, crimson liquid sliding down his throat, quenching the insatiable fire within.

His hands gripped the edges of the toilet bowl, knuckles turning white from the effort to stay upright, but the hunger was draining his strength, leaving him weak, dizzy, and disoriented. A deep, hollow ache twisted in his stomach, amplifying his desperation. He retched violently, gasping for air as the world around him spun, the edges of his vision blurring with dark spots.

The faint scent of blood—his own—lingered in the air, a stark reminder of how close he was to losing control. His body was betraying him, rejecting anything that wasn't the sustenance he craved. The hunger was maddening, consuming his thoughts and leaving no room for anything else. It felt as if every cell in his body was screaming for blood, a primal need that refused to be ignored, even as his body continued to rebel against the very notion of nourishment without it.

Beomgyu groaned in agony, his throat raw and burning from the relentless vomiting. He could feel his strength fading, drained by the insatiable hunger that clawed at him, demanding to be satisfied. But there was no relief, no escape from the torment. Only the hunger, always the hunger, growing stronger with each passing moment, pushing him closer to the edge.

The image of warm, rich blood flowing down his throat haunted him. The last time he had savored it was when Yeonjun had brought him a bottle just a few nights ago. Now, he regretted downing it so hastily; had he taken his time, he wouldn't be trapped in this desperate situation.

He gasped for air, his throat convulsing as it threatened to reject the remnants of his stomach. Then it happened again. For what felt like the umpteenth time that day, he screamed into the empty room, the sound echoing off the tiles. Agony clawed at him, making him feel as if death was just around the corner.

To make matters worse, the deadline for his joint project with Kang Taehyun loomed just two days away. Taehyun had been ignoring him for weeks, leaving their work in disarray. Beomgyu had tried to reach out, sending cheerful 'good mornings' and 'good nights,' but Taehyun acted as if he were invisible.

Even at the university, Taehyun's cold indifference continued. He ignored not only Beomgyu but also Yeonjun. Soobin and Hueningkai had noticed the tension but opted to stay out of it, respecting their privacy. Yet Yeonjun understood the reason behind Taehyun's avoidance, and it was eating away at Beomgyu.

Taehyun's scent—a sweet, honey-like aroma—taunted him mercilessly, heightening his craving for blood to unbearable levels whenever he was near. It was pure torment.

Beomgyu retched again, watching as a dark clump of blood splattered into the toilet.

"Fuck," he muttered, coughing as pain surged through him. He was at his breaking point. He needed blood—nothing else mattered. Slowly, he pushed himself up, using the sink for support, and stumbled out of the bathroom. His gaze fell on Taehyun's open bedroom door, but the younger male was nowhere to be found.