Chapter One.

I remember waking up next to him. His eyes were still closed and moved around under the eyelids as he continued to dream. I still remember putting my hand on his cheek to feel his soft skin. I was so careful not to wake him up. If only I could bring that back.
Now I starred blankly at the stars above me. Craving to hear his voice or to even hold him again. Perhaps under certain circumstances I could kiss him again. If only he was here.
I wonder what he would say about me now. What would he say about this world? Would he have gone insane like Jane? Would he have killed himself like Gerred? Would he be perfectly fine?
I would never know. He isn't here and he won't ever be. For this, I won't love no more. There are many guys in the area that fall head over heels for me. Many have made advances at me.
"Carly!" The call broke me from my thoughts pulling me into reality.
Shannon, a 6 foot female with long brown hair came running to me. Before the break out, she was always running races and going to gyms. Her body was toned. I may be strong, but I was even afraid to get on Shannon's bad side.
"We have been looking for you. A meal is ready. Come eat. I would like you to be with me and my family tonight." She smiled and started pulling me up from the ground.
I didn't say anything, I just got up and followed her. Here in this new world, food was distributed differently than it was before. Now you could not go to a market and get what you wanted.
In this new world, as we all call it now, you must go to one of the 4 diners in your area. Right now we are only aware of 8 areas. Each area contains 15-20 people that are still surviving. Our area is called "Destiny." It was named after our first leader.
Each of the 8 areas where named after their first leaders. 6 of the 8 areas still have their first leaders living and still leading. 2, such as the one I am in, have lost theirs to the living dead. Our area was known to have the most people in it but 3 weeks ago we lost a few residents.
Some zombies managed to get in the walls of our area and killed them, including Destiny. It was a surprise attack. Such a surprise, even Destiny did not see it coming. Our area once had 27 people. That was when we all gathered here of course. Now we are down to 18. That includes the attack, suicides and the insanity death, better known as I.D.
Shannon and I went in line at diner 2. Each diner had different food, it all depended on what the people were able to produce from the garden. Diner one serves broccoli, vegetable rolls, nuts and salads. Diner 2 serves potatoes, beans, carrots, rice, bread and noodles. Diner 3 has snap peas, sweet peas, cheese and crackers. Finally there is diner 4 with a menu that is mainly baked goods such as cupcakes, cookies and small cakes. For the dinner part they only have corn, pizza and onion rings.
Shannon got her usual, rice with carrots and bread. I wasn't really hungry so I ordered noodles and bread. When we got to the house, her family wasn't there yet so we set the table. Emma, Shannon's mother, was getting the drinks. The only thing to drink was water.
When we finished, me and her sat at the table. She put out the food on her plate from the container. I slowly opened mine and the smell of warm noodles and bread filled the area all around me. I put my food on the plate. It wasn't long after when Emma and her husband, Leo, got home and did the same with their food. Then we ate. Of course Shannon took the containers to the door, when Harold, a teenage boy who was now an orphan, knocked.
Everyday Harold and Patrick, Harold's brother, switched to pick up the containers and take them to be washed and reused. All of them had to be washed by certain times. Everyone was given certain times for meals. In the morning it is at 7 am. The next meal is at noon. Finally diner is at 9 pm. Of course for each area the schedule is different depending on the leader.
When we finished eating Emma collected the plates and Shannon decided to walk to my apartment with me. We walked silently down the dark sidewalks. Even though me and her were best friends, even before this world, we barley talked. I guess we didn't need to unless something really popped into our heads. Each others company was enough.
Shannon and I were not far from each other. When we arrived at my door, she gave me a hug and told me good night. She started walking away then she turned back around.
"Carly. If there is anything you need, just let me know. I will be here fo-" Shannon was suddenly cut off as a long blade was coming out of the lower part of her stomach through her. Her eyes widened as she fell to her knees slowly.
I was so hurt, I couldn't even scream for help. When Shannon had fallen to the ground and blood flowed out around her, I looked up at her murderer.
Lewis grinned and pulled the sword from her lower back. He started laughing as he approached me. I pulled the gun from my boot and had it pointed at him and loaded in a flash.
He didn't stop getting closer. When he got too close for comfort I pulled the trigger.
I loud sound pierced the silent area. He dropped dead. I dropped my gun and ran to Shannon. I picked her up and held her and I sobbed. I buried my face into her shoulder. Others began to arrive at the scene and I screamed and cried more when they pulled me away from Shannon. Emma and Leo were the last to arrive when someone carried the news to them. They looked at her dead body in horror.
All I could tell myself was "wake up."