1

How could it have come to this? Why did you find yourself joining the military to be a part of the scouting regiment, despite knowing that it very well could be the end of you and many of the people enlisting alongside you? Well, there is a logical explanation to this all. 

It started two years ago, when you were only eleven years old. You enjoyed a peaceful life inside the walls with your three childhood friends, Eren, Armin and Mikasa. Though that would all come crashing down one afternoon. 

You were laying in a field oblivious to all, watching birds fly over the wall that had kept humanity safe for over a hundred years. Though they had kept you safe, you had always wanted to fly beyond them just like the birds did. You couldn't help but want to have the wings of freedom inscribed on a green cape flowing behind you as you 'flew' beyond the walls and into territory claimed by the titans for revenge against the humiliation of practically being caged up like animals your entire lives. 

There was an unusual puff of smoke in the sky, causing you to look towards the unknown source. What you saw in that moment was a sight you will never forget, not in all your time being alive. 

A titan, the first one you had ever seen, was looking over the wall and seemingly casting its sunken, dead eyes right at you. You couldn't think clearly out of fear, your only coherent thought being to run away as quickly as you possibly can, as something even worse was most likely about to transpire. 

Your suspicion was proven correct when an ear-splitting crash and thousands of screams rang through the air behind you. You dared not look back as you ran for the boat in the small river near the wall's end that would take you to safety. There were only a few boats to save people, so many would be left behind. 

You were one of the lucky ones. One of the people who made it out alive. You had bidden your time, so now all you had to do was join the military and prepare to fight back against the humiliation of being trapped in the walls. Some of the other people who enlisted did strike you as somehow suspicious. As people, they were mostly inconspicuous, but there was something off about them. One of them was a small girl with blonde hair tied up in a bun. She had blue eyes that glinted with lies and despair. Another was a very tall man with deep grey eyes that could hide horrid secrets. The last was a man with a more muscular build than the other two. His eyes and hair had the same golden color. 

What was with these people? Why did it feel as if they were hiding something? Maybe you were just being paranoid...