Chapter 20 : Anti-romantic to lovesick real quick

"Are they making any progress?"

The blondenette reclined on his throne, raising an eyebrow as he swirled the glass in his hand, resting his chin on his palm.

"According to Yeonjun's report, Kim Taehyung's younger brother, Kim Sunoo, broke into Beomgyu's shared dorm—"

Jay clicked his tongue, savoring the sweet, honey-like taste of the crimson liquid in his glass.

"I know that, but did they actually catch him?"

His voice dropped an octave as he leaned closer to the kneeling vampire before him.

"I'm afraid I have to disappoint you, Jongseong. No, they haven't."

Jay scoffed, leaning back in his chair and propping one foot on the armrest, continuing to twirl his glass.

"Where's Beomgyu?"

Jay pressed again.

"Yeonjun reported that—"

"Can you please stop stammering? It's incredibly irritating."

Jay snapped, his annoyance clear.

"Yeonjun said Beomgyu is doing well and is still searching for Sunoo."

"Heeseung, that's your name, right?"

"Y-yes," Heeseung replied hesitantly, feeling the weight of Jay's intimidating presence.

"Could you do me a favor?"

Jay asked, his gaze fixed on the crimson liquid in his glass, a sinister smirk playing on his lips. Heeseung trembled, anxious about what Jay might ask of him.

"Go to the human world and tell Yeonjun to stop lying about his brother's activities."

Heeseung felt his hands shake. How did Jay know it was a lie when he himself did not? He lowered his head, avoiding Jay's piercing gaze.

"That redhead needs to cut the deception. I know exactly what's happening, and he can't fool me."

The tension between Heeseung and Jay crackled like static electricity, a palpable force that hung heavily in the air during their interactions. It was a complicated mix of fear, respect, and unresolved conflict, woven into every glance and word exchanged.

Heeseung, usually composed, appeared visibly shaken in Jay's presence. His posture was stiff, and his eyes flitted around nervously, betraying the anxiety that simmered beneath his calm exterior. Despite his efforts to maintain control, an undercurrent of apprehension made their exchanges uncomfortable to observe. Heeseung's voice often carried a hesitant tone when addressing Jay, highlighting the weight of their strained relationship.

In contrast, Jay seemed to revel in the discomfort he caused Heeseung. Every move he made was charged with a deliberate intensity, a predatory calm that only heightened the tension between them. Jay's sharp, calculating gaze rarely left Heeseung, and his casual gestures—like twisting a glass in his hand or allowing a smirk to dance on his lips—were meant to unsettle. 

Jay's grin widened as he tightened his grip on the glass, causing it to shatter in his hand. The sharp sound made Heeseung flinch. Jay pretended to be surprised, holding up his bleeding palm for Heeseung to see.

"Look! It's blood," he exclaimed, a mischievous smile spreading across his face. Heeseung's eyes went wide at the sight.

"Jongseong, you're bleeding!" he exclaimed. Jay shrugged it off, playfully sticking out his tongue to catch the blood that dripped from his palm down to his forearm. His long, gleaming fangs were visible as he smirked, leaving Heeseung in stunned disbelief.